Balance wrong after upgrade to Peerunity

Hi guys,

I’ve upgraded an ancient (2014) PPCoin client to the latest PeerUnity, and although my transactions are still visible, my balance is wrong.

Here’s the screenshot of the balance screen, and here are the transactions - any ideas what I’m doing wrong?

thanks!

First check a block explorer like chainz to see what it really is
https://chainz.cryptoid.info/ppc/
Next, try to force a rescan using “-rescan”.

Thanks for your reply.
I kicked off ppcoin-qt.exe -rescan and it did perform a rescan - but nothing has changed.
I did the same with peerunity.exe -rescan

I’ve verified that the addresses still hold these amounts using the block explorer.

Getting nervous now…

• Would it have anything to do with the minting? Here’s a screenshot of the minting tab with those addresses being used.
  • Would it have anything to do with having both ppcoin and peerunity installed, and pointed to the same directory?

Thanks!

when version 0.5 came out the blockchain forked. You were minting with a older version on a wrong chain.
sorry but the correct balance only applies with the correct chain.
https://peercoin.mintr.org/address/PTMx5D5KjGDXtZfvawP99g8cnQBiFnBU6w

1 Like

If its on the block explorer, no need to get nervous. You can always delete the blockchain and redownload. Id suggest backing up your wallet.dat first.

You can also try to make a fresh install and copy the wallet.dat over. Another strategy would be to dump the private keys one at a time using the peercoin console and “dumpprivkey” then importing them to a new wallet. It would be best to preserve the wallet.dat file if possible though.

If you’re nervous just backup your wallet.dat to a storage device somewhere then dont be nervous anymore!

I remember something like this discussed in 2014 before as well:

(It was fixed after May 11, 2014)

Don’t know if your version of your wallet predates the fix @galloo2 but you should check.

Looking at this again, it might be a different issue.

I saw the screenshot showing about 20 ppc in Peerunity, but the explorer, has you over 695 ppc. It almost looks like Peerunity is syncing your “change address” and not your normal balance.

Let us know if you’re still having a problem. I expect we’ll open up a big discussion about what change means on the blockchain. :slight_smile:

Hi everyone,

firstly - thanks for taking time to respond!

Ok - so I’ve nuked everything apart from my wallet.dat, and re-downloaded the blockchain. The Peerunity client I’m using is the latest available version which I downloaded on Saturday. I launched it using -rescan

Still the same issue - balance shows ~20 and transactions show ~1000

The main amounts were received via transactions on:

• 2014-06-09 689.98 ppc
  • 2014-06-11 300.48 ppc
  • 2014-06-11 19.98 ppc

So it seems that only the last transaction, and one other minting amount (possibly linked?) are being displayed in the balance - I’ve circled these on the following screenshot.

Finally, the original ppcoin wallets I would have been using were the following:

• ppcoin-0.4.0-win32-setup.exe Downloaded 2014-06-09
  • ppcoin-0.4.1rc1-win32-setup.exe Downloaded 2015-12-12

thanks!

since it there are 2 addresses on the screenshot: I d try the following:

launch your bitcoin client as usual and wait for it to load the blockchain and start up
click on ‘help’ in the menu bar (top right)
click on ‘debug window’
select the ‘console’ tab
type: walletpassphrase “your walletpassphrase here” 600
type: dumpprivkey [your Bitcoin address nr1 here]
this will return the private key, you can copy it now; ensure you clear your clipboard/history afterwards

doe this again for addres nr 2

now you have the private keys in notepad or something

shutdown
rename wallet.dat to wallet.org

restart

a new wallet is created on start up
importprivkey “yourveryveryveryverylongprivatekeystring1” “my-new-key1”
importprivkey “yourveryveryveryverylongprivatekeystring2” “my-new-key2”