Backing up peercoin wallet

I have been reading about PoS minting and trying to figure out how to do that on my mac. But the first priority is backing up the wallet.

I have looked for some information about backing up the wallet yet have not been able to access any good guides. I know it should be self explanatory and simple yet I am struggling. I just want to make sure I properly back up my wallet.

As of now i am working on a mac and want to back up my wallet on a place on my mac and a USB drive. Is this satisfactory measure to take?

I have tried exporting data to USB and to computer yet it doesn’t seem to work. I am not sure if this has anything to do with my wallet being encrypted or not. I think there are probably others out there like me with similar question and concerns.

I’ve backed mine up and successfully restored it by simply copying the wallet.dat file to the new computer

Heres what i have done. Thought it would work maybe it has. I simply click file backup wallet while on the PPCoin-QT and the save it to my USB drive. It saves it as a .dat file yet when i try to open the file from my USB drive a VLC media player comes up. Shouldn’t this store my private keys? I have no idea why a media player would come up

There’s no reason that you’d need to click on that file to “open” it.

Once you’ve copied it on to your thumb drive, if you ever need to use the copy, you just place the .dat file into the Peercoin application directory where the current wallet.dat lives.

Media Player often gets confused with some of the semi-generic file types. it probably thinks that the file is a Daqarta .dat file (which is an audio format) http://www.daqarta.com/

Don’t open it. You have to copy and paste it into the directory where PPCoin-QT stores the wallet.dat. Usually the directory is:
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\PPCoin

It won’t work if the filename of your backup isn’t “wallet.dat”.

I’ve personally used TrueCrypt to encrypt my wallet in my PC. I also have a backup in a usb. I plan to make 2 more back ups with 2 more USBs. It’s a very cheap security measure.

This will be a good reference for all the newcomers who lack even the basic understanding lol :slight_smile:

So I have tried to listen to your directions yet have failed. I have even watched I believe it is Bens youtube video linked here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_15h-SV02Jw

Yet on my mac I do not know how to perform the same tasks. If you could act like you were explaining it to a little kid haha maybe that would work better.

Thanks for the input guys

If you are using windoz, clicking on wallet.dat will result in VLC starting up.

If you need to start another PPCoin wallet on another PC, just install PPC and then copy your wallet.dat to the Appdata on the new PC.

If you need to start another PPCoin wallet on another PC, just install PPC and then copy your wallet.dat to the Appdata on the new PC.[/quote]

I am using a mac

@kschneezy: I’m happy to work on continuing to simplify the instructions for getting Proof-of-Stake working on your Mac, but I’ll need more specifics into what sections you are having problems with, specifically, and what those problems are.

Please post them to the Tutorial thread, so I can keep that information all in one place.

Thanks!

Ok will do. Having multiple problems currently. Just trying to get wallet backed up properly before moving to PoS

If you need to start another PPCoin wallet on another PC, just install PPC and then copy your wallet.dat to the Appdata on the new PC.[/quote]

ok my bad, its a mac.

[quote=“Ben, post:9, topic:963”]@kschneezy: I’m happy to work on continuing to simplify the instructions for getting Proof-of-Stake working on your Mac, but I’ll need more specifics into what sections you are having problems with, specifically, and what those problems are.

Please post them to the Tutorial thread, so I can keep that information all in one place.

Thanks![/quote]

I would like to get my wallet properly backed up and stored in a separate location in case anything were to happen to my mac. Thats my first priority. Would you like to discuss that in your PoS tutorial as I don’t want to get off topic on there

When I exported my bitcoin priv keys in the past on multibit it was pretty simple. So how do I got about doing this on the PPCoin-QT with a mac. I have tried to export them by clicking the export button and saving it to my USB drive yet that doesn’t seem to work. Neither does clicking file then backup wallet. Whats the right way to do it between those two options anyways?

So on PPCoin-Qt on the mac the export option leads me to an excel sheet that says label and address and nothing there with a .csv or something file. The other option of being on PPCoin-Qt and clicking file and backup wallet leads to a .dat file that opens up in VLC. Those are the two encounters I have come across any suggestions for a non technical person looking to keep their PPC secure?

Discussing the wallet backup is fine here.

If you’ve backed up the wallet using the PPCoin-Qt interface, and the wallet.dat file has been written to your USB thumb drive, you’re doing it right.

Now, should you at any point in the future need to use that saved file to rebuild your wallet, it’s a pretty easy process. The most likely case for doing this is if you need to reinstall the Peercoin client on a new computer, or after you’ve had to format the disk due to an unrelated issue. In that case, you’d install the Peercoin client (ppcoin-qt) per the current instructions and launch it to make sure it’s working correctly. It WILL NOT contain your account balance, so don’t worry – that’s what the next steps are for.

The most straight-forward way to do it is to use the OSX Terminal application to access the system’s command line interface. I’ve covered it in the Mac PoS tutorial, but for a quick primer, it’s located in Applications > Utilities > Terminal.

Once Terminal is running, insert your USB into your Mac, and copy and paste the [font=courier]wallet.dat[/font] file that you backed up on to your desktop. By copying and pasting, rather than dragging it over, you can maintain that copy on the USB, in case anything goes wrong.

[b]Note[/b]: I'm using the file name [font=courier]wallet.dat[/font] for simplicity, but you may have renamed it. If you did, just replace that name when you see "wallet.dat" referenced in the instructions.

Next, in Terminal, type the following (and remember, “$” is not included in the text you need to copy, it’s just there to indicate where the prompt starts):

$ cd ~/Desktop/
$ ls

What that did was to set your context to your Desktop directory and then display a list of all the files and directories stored in it. You should see a listing for [font=courier]wallet.dat[/font]. If you do, we’re ready to go on to the next step; removing the default wallet file and then moving the backup into the ~/Library/Application\ Support/PPCoin/ directory.

$ cd ~/Library/Application\ Support/PPCoin/
$ rm wallet.dat
$ ls

When the directory contents are displayed using the “ls” command, you should no longer see a [font=courier]wallet.dat[/font] file listed. Next we’ll use the “mv” (move) command to pull the file that we put on the Desktop over to the …/PPCoin/ directory:

$ mv ~/Desktop/wallet.dat wallet.dat
$ ls

Listing the directory contents should now show a [font=courier]wallet.dat[/font] file.

Last Step
Start up PPCoin-Qt and let the blockchain synch. Once the client has caught up to the most recent transactions, you’ll be able to confirm you’re using your backed up wallet, and any transactions that occurred since the backup happened should be reconciled with the blockchain synch.

And then you’re ready to get back to whatever you were doing before you had to reinstall.

ALL: Can I get a quick proofread of the steps? I think I got them correct, but just in case I missed anything fundamental, I’d like a review. Thanks!

Thank you for the reply Ben :slight_smile:

I will make sure I save this thread in case something ever goes wrong with my computer

My question is so basic you may have misunderstood it. I simply want to make a backup of my peercoins on to a USB drive yet I explained neither of the two options lead me to a backup. Through exporting I get a .csv file and by clicking backup wallet i get a .dat file that when opened is in VLC. How can I backup my wallet to a USB?

Take the .dat file, and without opening it, copy and paste it from your hard drive to your USB device.

That’s it. It’s useless without the client to open it up, so attempting to manually click on it won’t do anything (other than to open VLC!)

Should it ever be needed, follow the instructions I provided to import that backup into a future version of Peercoin’s client.

Does this answer your question?

Ok I believe I have everything correct. When opening up the .dat file and having VLC show up sure had me confused. I guess if that doesn’t matter than I am set. Will need some help with PoS another time. Thanks for the help Ben :slight_smile:

Learning curve can be steep with cryptos, we’re lucky to have guys like Ben in our community to help smooth the transition. Always remember to pay it forward when new members eventually start coming to you for questions :slight_smile:

To keep this thread going.

I have done a similar thing to OP, except backed it up on an encrypted partition.
My question is…how do I make a paper-version of the private key? and if I do…how do I re-use when the time comes?