AskPeers

AskPeers:

An idea for a site to leverage the strengths of cryptocurrencies. A business model to produce a better PPcoin.

This is a site I would set up myself if I had the time, resources and expertise. Since I do not, instead I’ll give this idea to the community (my peers) so that maybe a bounty or series of bounties can be set up to create this site for the benefit of both the community, and for PPcoin.

The idea is to create a question/answer site which leverages the knowledge of the crowd. The difference between this site and all the other similar ask sites is that this site will pay people for answers creating a market which both funds the site but also encourages people to share knowledge and give answers.

The mechanics of the site could work like this:

1. People ask a question to the site, pledging PPcoins as the bounty to whomever answers it (the bounty is held in escrow).
  2. Viewers will see the questions and vote up the questions by adding to the bounty. Each vote will cost PPcoins.
  3. People begin answering the questions, the best answer(s) get voted up to collect the bounty. The person asking the question can set it so the top 5 best answers or the top 1 best answer etc. In the case of multiple parties giving good answers the bounty would be split between each proportionally.

This kind of site would leverage the most valuable asset the community has which is knowledge, it would create a market for ideals, solutions, etc. This market would be where we could go when they have a tough development problem, or when we want help with our math homework. This kind of site would easily promote PPC, and it would be very useful.

If anyone can implement this idea then contact me and let me know, or maybe we can set up a bounty if we think the idea can work. In addition to bounties, if the idea is truly a good idea then set up an IPO on https://www.litecoinglobal.com/ so the peers can crowd fund it through buying shares.

Review my idea and let me know if you think it can work.

Good project. I think escrow part is a bit overkill, just a feedback regulated honor system should be enough. In this format it sounds fairly easy to implement.

Very good idea. AskPeers.us domain is available (.com, .net and .org are taken), if someone wants to realize the project.

@Luckybit, your idea is a fantastic one. I am very happy to see a lot of people in the PPCoin community thinking entrepreneurially. On that note, I have a big announcement. Since, I am new to PPCointalk, it would not let me start a brand new thread, so if you and the community don’t mind, I’ll announce it here:

Hello fellow PPCoin community!
I have a major announcement. I just took out an ad that will appear on the Reddit homepage titled “Raising the Visibility and Adoption of PPCoin”. The ad will appear from June 26, 2013 to June 29, 2013. Once the ad starts to appear, you will see it on http://www.reddit.com/ at the top of the page. I’ll be competing against other bidders, so I’m not sure how often the ad will appear.

It was expensive, but I feel that PPCoin needs broader exposure, and a lot more attention. Once you actually see the ad, feel free to send a tip to PN1kPNZRNZrVpLncgzYig6SfsyEvHsFKie if you wish to help.
Sincerely,
Philogus

[quote=“Philogus, post:4, topic:156”]@Luckybit, your idea is a fantastic one. I am very happy to see a lot of people in the PPCoin community thinking entrepreneurially. On that note, I have a big announcement. Since, I am new to PPCointalk, it would not let me start a brand new thread, so if you and the community don’t mind, I’ll announce it here:

Hello fellow PPCoin community!
I have a major announcement. I just took out an ad that will appear on the Reddit homepage titled “Raising the Visibility and Adoption of PPCoin”. The ad will appear from June 26, 2013 to June 29, 2013. Once the ad starts to appear, you will see it on http://www.reddit.com/ at the top of the page. I’ll be competing against other bidders, so I’m not sure how often the ad will appear.

It was expensive, but I feel that PPCoin needs broader exposure, and a lot more attention. Once you actually see the ad, feel free to send a tip to PN1kPNZRNZrVpLncgzYig6SfsyEvHsFKie if you wish to help.
Sincerely,
Philogus[/quote]

I really think we need something like AskPeers. I’ll grab the domain name only if a developer steps up to code it. How should it be coded? Do enough people like the idea that it could be crowd funded on https://www.litecoinglobal.com/ ?

I particularly think Litecoin is a better source then Bitcoin because it promotes the altcoin visibility and ecosystem. I think PPcoin will benefit from the rise of Litecoin. The way I would want to do it is let the community buy shares in AskPeers similar to AsicMiner where they can get some dividends from the profit of the site if the site works as a way of giving back to the community.

But like I said, I wont have the time to develop it so I offer the plan. If anyone has the time, skill and resources to implement the plan then please do. I’ll contribute to launching it as well provided that it’s done in a way which benefits the community.

Now about the ad, what is the purpose of the ad? What is it advertising exactly?

I like the idea of ads if we have businesses that people care about to spend PPC on or buy PPC from.

One thing about Bitcoin is every few days another business is starting up or accepting it. PPcoin needs some killer apps.

You’re a talented programmer. How would such a site be coded and how long do you think it would take? This is some source code that I found http://www.osqa.net/ so apparently it is possible but how would I implement it with PPcoin?

I’ve found code for Ragatu which is basically the same sort of idea.
https://bitbucket.org/paraipan/rugatu/

Perhaps it could be modified to support PPcoin?

The honor system could work possibly. I was thinking of ways it could be gamed such as if a team of people decided to try and manipulate things for profit but the honor system would detect them eventually.

You’re a talented programmer. How would such a site be coded and how long do you think it would take? This is some source code that I found http://www.osqa.net/ so apparently it is possible but how would I implement it with PPcoin?

I’ve found code for Ragatu which is basically the same sort of idea.
https://bitbucket.org/paraipan/rugatu/

Perhaps it could be modified to support PPcoin?

The honor system could work possibly. I was thinking of ways it could be gamed such as if a team of people decided to try and manipulate things for profit but the honor system would detect them eventually.[/quote]

Luckybit, if we get a developer interested, I would definitely pledge some coins to a crowd-funding campaign (or perhaps we might have to attract a good developer with an a successful crowd-funding campaign). What I have found is that the hardest thing is getting a lot of people mobilized quickly around a cause. One of my hobbies is writing about Linux. In the Linux world, there is a website called Lxer that I use to quickly get seen by a lot of eyeballs. If I write an article and it is accepted by LXer, my article gets seen on dozens of Linux sites. For example, my article “Why Every GNU/Linux User Should Support Tesla Motors” is on the Lxer homepage right now (6/22/13): http://lxer.com/

The purpose of the Reddit ad is to raise the awareness of PPCoin among the general populace. The ad will be a link to this paper: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cqaupq6sejv99wr/pr_8U-iBN1/RaisingTheVisibilityAndAdoptionOfPpcoin.pdf

My hope is that an entrepreneur or two will take a look at the ideas, and it will inspire them to build something that none of us could have even imagined. I have a great imagination and I come up with great ideas, I just don’t have the time to sit down and build them. But perhaps some single young programming genius could build it far faster than I could, and take PPCoin to the next level.

[quote=“Luckybit, post:1, topic:156”]AskPeers:

An idea for a site to leverage the strengths of cryptocurrencies. A business model to produce a better PPcoin.[/quote]
I am completely onboard with this. I proposed an idea for a PPCoin site concept here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cqaupq6sejv99wr/pr_8U-iBN1/RaisingTheVisibilityAndAdoptionOfPpcoin.pdf
I was intrigued by your idea because you have the same basic problem I do: you have a killer idea that would probably be very successful, but you don’t have the time to build it yourself.

This is a site I would set up myself if I had the time, resources and expertise. Since I do not, instead I'll give this idea to the community (my peers) so that maybe a bounty or series of bounties can be set up to create this site for the benefit of both the community, and for PPcoin.
I retire from the Navy in about 6 months, and I can learn anything. My dream has always been to work for a tech company (like Google or Red Hat). I would love to come onboard if a group of us decided to form a PPCoin company. The first thing I would do is to start a library of books that we could all share on a large bookshelf in our office. I program pretty well in C++, and I could become a very proficient programmer if I had to. I am also pretty good with HTML and PHP. However, at the moment, I have nowhere near the skill to build a project as ambitous as your or mine. However, I learn very quickly. I suspect that if we got a group of working together, we could build something very impressive. The problem is time, and the resources to be able to drop all of the other responsibilities in our lives. Part of me wants to say "screw it, take a leap of faith". This is especially true if I could find others willing to take a similar leap of faith. I have taken a leap of faith of sorts in that I have sold all other cryptocurrency, and I am now only in PPCoin.
The idea is to create a question/answer site which leverages the knowledge of the crowd. The difference between this site and all the other similar ask sites is that this site will pay people for answers creating a market which both funds the site but also encourages people to share knowledge and give answers.
Great idea but I have two questions: [1]. How would we promote it? Reddit's advertising is actually very reasonable. The three day PPCoin advertising campaign that I took out on Reddit's homepage was $33 per day for a total of $100. I could have set it as low as $20 per day, but I wanted to increase the chances of getting some good page views. Reddit.com gets a lot of traffic, so i think that it would be one excellent choice for promoting the site built on your idea. [2.] How would we compete with Chacha.com? They already do what you are talking about, and they pay for answers. I actually have a friend who answers questions on ChaCha.
[b]The mechanics of the site could work like this:[/b]
  1. People ask a question to the site, pledging PPcoins as the bounty to whomever answers it (the bounty is held in escrow).
  2. Viewers will see the questions and vote up the questions by adding to the bounty. Each vote will cost PPcoins.
  3. People begin answering the questions, the best answer(s) get voted up to collect the bounty. The person asking the question can set it so the top 5 best answers or the top 1 best answer etc. In the case of multiple parties giving good answers the bounty would be split between each proportionally.

Again, I love the idea, but the challenge would be that there are already three established behemoths that basically already provide answers for a lot of questions people would have: Wikipedia, Google, and Chacha.com. I like the potential synergy between your idea and mine. If my idea gets build, it encourages people to buy a lot of PPCoin (and yours does too). Once those people have PPCOin, man of them many prefer using your site concept to gets answers to questions instead of ChaCha.com.
This kind of site would leverage the most valuable asset the community has which is knowledge, it would create a market for ideals, solutions, etc. This market would be where we could go when they have a tough development problem, or when we want help with our math homework. This kind of site would easily promote PPC, and it would be very useful.
Yes, I think that this would work. Stackexchange.com does exactly this kind of thing with computer programming problems. The market for this is huge, and if we could attract very knowledgeable people, we could expand the concept into a lot of areas. The Khan Academy is also garnering a lot of attention for this kind of thing.
If anyone can implement this idea then contact me and let me know, or maybe we can set up a bounty if we think the idea can work. In addition to bounties, if the idea is truly a good idea then set up an IPO on https://www.litecoinglobal.com/ so the peers can crowd fund it through buying shares.
Working with a team of other motivated people, I could certainly help to get something like this built. I like the bounty idea, and I would definitely contribute some coins. I just like to see progress. Once people commit to something, things actually start moving and you see progress.
Review my idea and let me know if you think it can work.
Great idea. I think that it could work as long as we got committed people willing to answer tough questions. on the other hand, we could build it, and just hear the sound of crickets as nobody comes. we would have to commit ourselves to promoting it.

I gave the Reddit.com ad some more thought and I decided not to do it yet. Its too early. I need to study the development of PPCoin a little bit more, and come up with a better and more effective promotion idea.

I registered the domain names so that if and when the time comes where we do have a team and a talented programmer we can build it. The problem isn’t just finding a programmer but finding the programmer with integrity to be trusted.

I know Python and can read the code but to actually write code I would have to focus entirely on that and it’s something I cannot currently afford to do. If crowdfunded then I would for certain start the business, hire a skilled programmer (more skilled than myself), and contribute and review code but not as the main programmer. I think for a site like that, the only part which I haven’t figured out from reviewing the code is how do you handle the PPcoin wallet and payment mechanism. It’s honestly not that hard but it’s money and security being so important, it has to be done right.

I’m not exclusively in PPcoin, I use Bitcoin, and Litecoin too. I do think PPcoin is the coin of the future and I like it enough as a technology that I have faith in it. I even have faith in the difficulty algorithm which at first I thought could never work but the math shows it does work. I don’t dispute results.

We will have to promote it. It may require we use some crowdfunding mechanism to raise funds to build and promote it. I’m not exactly sure the best process to go about it. I respect what you’re doing promoting PPcoin, it’s necessary.

Privacy, the fact that you can be anonymous, the fact that you can have complete freedom of speech to ask any question no matter how insane and get answers. That being said, there would probably be some questions we’d rather not want people asking but if we believe in free speech then that is something which would be evidenced by our support of PPcoin as the payment. If we believe in privacy then by using PPcoin you’re directly showing that you believe in it. The way to market it is people can ask questions they might be afraid to ask elsewhere because they are embarrassing.

Beyond that I haven’t thought much about marketing. I seem to have a knack for that but I figure first we need something people can spend money on before we can buy into it.

It will be a challenge, but at the same time I think we all recognize it has to be done. PPcoin needs it’s own ask site. And we cannot wait or expect ChaCha to support PPcoin or even Bitcoin. Why should we wait when we can do it ourselves? Perhaps I have some ideas which ChaCha can’t do because it doesn’t support cryptocurrencies but I’ll keep those ideas for myself until such a site is made.

First we would need to determine requirements. We have the domain name so I took care of that. We need a skilled & trusted programmer, we need a good place to host the site, we need an initial marketing budget. I could start a corporation after a team is built up and a site is working in beta. But once again this could be a lot of work and effort so until people volunteer to help get a beta site up it goes no where. A bounty would probably be needed to pay for integrating PPcoin into a fork of the rugatu code base. I think rugatu has a good code base which can be modified and improved upon.

I think there already are questions being asked but no one knows about these sites. You see the same questions asked on the forums all the time. Then you have really tough technical or math questions constantly being asked in order to create an algorithm or solve a problem. Devtome currently has 1000 writers and growing, I think it’s doubling every round. I can see how eventually those writers will have to go somewhere else.

The brand name is good and is a natural fit for the use of PPC. As to development, I think if you don’t host a wallet then it should be quite easy and low cost to maintain. Probably take only a couple weeks for a web developer to make a simple prototype. The hard part is really getting dedicated experts to frequent it and getting many users to use it. This probable would require money and marketing prowess.