Article making the case for Peercoin

I have spent some time on a few articles making the case for Peercoin (and the vulnerabilities of Bitcoin that it solves). I’d love if members of the community could read my first one and then comment here on any constructive criticism. It’s a first draft, but I think it makes a compelling case for Peercoin. Hopefully, I got all the facts correct. All sources are linked directly in the document. If you like the article/post, feel free to share it. I might submit it to a financial publication if you all like it and I can get it in better shape (the intended audience is the investment community, thus the references to “tulip bulbs” etc.). My goal is to make it so that a non-technical person can read and understand the risks with Bitcoin and why Peercoin is better.

taylorsense.tumblr.com

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Hey Taylor, thanks for writing this up. Would you feel comfortable with it being shared in our Twitter/Facebook channels, or are you still in the process of editing?

Side notes I came across while reading:

For your quote “The first “jolt” should happen sometime in 2017, and no one can yet predict what the consequences of this sudden change will be.”

http://bitcoinclock.com/ shows the date to be in September 2016, might be a good addition to the article.

For “While this is true, the supply can only grow by at most 1% per year” it should be stated that this will be true if PoS blocks are the only ones found; inflation will be higher than that in the short-term while PoW is still factored in.

For “Another related criticism is that due to the 1% “interest” rate, Peercoin makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.” I broke it down here if you feel like linking an analogy http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=940.0

Excellent and thorough write-up for laymen and veterans alike! Did not spot any factual errors in my initial read-through.

Hey Taylor, very well written - just one little thing:

with 1% interest rate, it will take 69.66 years for the supply to double.

(the calculation is ln(2)/ln(1.01) ) which basically means how many times you need to multiply 1.01 in itself to get to 2.

Nice writeup. Are you still adding changes or could I show this link around a bit?

As I said in the original post, feel free to share. I plan to edit it a bit more, but I think this is close enough to a final product (especially given the positive feedback I’ve received so far) to start sharing more broadly.

[quote=“MeBeingAwesome, post:3, topic:1813”]Side notes I came across while reading:

For your quote “The first “jolt” should happen sometime in 2017, and no one can yet predict what the consequences of this sudden change will be.”

http://bitcoinclock.com/ shows the date to be in September 2016, might be a good addition to the article.

For “While this is true, the supply can only grow by at most 1% per year” it should be stated that this will be true if PoS blocks are the only ones found; inflation will be higher than that in the short-term while PoW is still factored in.

For “Another related criticism is that due to the 1% “interest” rate, Peercoin makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.” I broke it down here if you feel like linking an analogy http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=940.0[/quote]

Thank you for these valuable comments. I will incorporate many of them right now.

Concerning the “1% makes the rich richer” issue, my understanding of the proponents of this theory is that if “rich person” holds 1000 PPC and 10 “poor people” hold 100 PPC each, the issue is that any reserve balance will disproportionately affect “poor people”. Let’s say the reserve balance needed to transact is 50 PPC. Then the “rich person” would earn PoS on 95% of her money. “Poor people” would earn it on only 50% of their money. Thus, I skipped that argument altogether in the article because it is true that money needed to transact wouldn’t earn stake. That’s why I went the route to point out the absurdity even though that’s true. “Rich people” have plenty of other advantages over the poor already (access to exclusive classes of investments like hedge funds, greater diversification of investments, access to tax advice and tax efficient investment vehicles)… the thought that they’d leave their wealth in the form of Peercoin (essentially cash) so that they can get a fraction of a percentage advantage over the general population is absurd. Most people will mint PoS anyway once it’s easy and built into the interface, eroding almost all of this advantage. Hopefully, that makes sense… maybe more for the article, but brevity has already been lost, I’m afraid. :stuck_out_tongue:

Concerning the "1% makes the rich richer" issue, my understanding of the proponents of this theory is that if "rich person" holds 1000 PPC and 10 "poor people" hold 100 PPC each, the issue is that any reserve balance will disproportionately affect "poor people". Let's say the reserve balance needed to transact is 50 PPC. Then the "rich person" would earn PoS on 95% of her money. "Poor people" would earn it on only 50% of their money

The reserve balance feature keeps a number of PPC spendable so that it is not used for Proof of Stake minting process all at the same time (which takes for no reason in my opinion too long /~500 blocks). The whole balance is used to accumulate Coinage so these coins can be used later for the Proof of Stake minting process. Nothing is lost neither for the rich nor the poor guys. Additionally the reserve balance feature is optional with default value =0, which means the whole balance can be used for the Proof of Stake minting process.

[quote=“Geuli, post:5, topic:1813”]with 1% interest rate, it will take 69.66 years for the supply to double.

(the calculation is ln(2)/ln(1.01) ) which basically means how many times you need to multiply 1.01 in itself to get to 2.[/quote]

This would be true if the balance were constantly compounded. In practice, however, you only receive PoS mint rewards every 30-90 days, which brings the real “interest rate” down to about 1%. You have a point, though, so perhaps I should just say “about 70 years” and be done with it… doesn’t change the central point, which is it takes a lifetime to simply double your money.

[quote=“Taylor05, post:8, topic:1813”][quote=“MeBeingAwesome, post:3, topic:1813”]Side notes I came across while reading:

For “Another related criticism is that due to the 1% “interest” rate, Peercoin makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.” I broke it down here if you feel like linking an analogy http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=940.0[/quote]

Thank you for these valuable comments. I will incorporate many of them right now.

Concerning the “1% makes the rich richer” issue, my understanding of the proponents of this theory is that if “rich person” holds 1000 PPC and 10 “poor people” hold 100 PPC each, the issue is that any reserve balance will disproportionately affect “poor people”. Let’s say the reserve balance needed to transact is 50 PPC. Then the “rich person” would earn PoS on 95% of her money. “Poor people” would earn it on only 50% of their money. Thus, I skipped that argument altogether in the article because it is true that money needed to transact wouldn’t earn stake. That’s why I went the route to point out the absurdity even though that’s true. “Rich people” have plenty of other advantages over the poor already (access to exclusive classes of investments like hedge funds, greater diversification of investments, access to tax advice and tax efficient investment vehicles)… the thought that they’d leave their wealth in the form of Peercoin (essentially cash) so that they can get a fraction of a percentage advantage over the general population is absurd. Most people will mint PoS anyway once it’s easy and built into the interface, eroding almost all of this advantage. Hopefully, that makes sense… maybe more for the article, but brevity has already been lost, I’m afraid. :P[/quote]

That certainly makes sense. A Peercoin user brought up that same argument in my thread here.

My rebuttal is that this argument ignores the negative utility associated with holding Peercoin for PoS minting. In your argument the “reserve balance” needed to transact is 50 PPC. That means that the rich person is staking 95% of his holdings (a negative utility, because he cannot spend the coins for a certain time frame afterwards, in this case 520 blocks), whereas the poor people are only staking 50% of their holdings (less of a negative utility on a comparative basis). The very slight increase in PoS rewards over time for the rich person only comes as a result of him accepting the negative utility of less liquidity in his holdings on a short-term basis.

Hope I’m not stealing OP’s thunder but I also wrote up an article on Peercoin, for my site: CoinTrader.org… And would love some feedback “straight from the horses mouth” so to speak…

http://cointrader.org/peercoin-proof-of-stake-and-bitcoin/

Thanks.

btw… I used a lot of material that I found directly on this forum… if you spot anythng that went unaccredited, let me know and I’ll fix it.

[quote=“CoinTrader, post:12, topic:1813”]Hope I’m not stealing OP’s thunder but I also wrote up an article on Peercoin, for my site: CoinTrader.org… And would love some feedback “straight from the horses mouth” so to speak…

Thanks.

btw… I used a lot of material that I found directly on this forum… if you spot anythng that went unaccredited, let me know and I’ll fix it.[/quote]

Post this in a new thread, it deserves the same level of attention :slight_smile:

Thank you for the article - done well enough for me to share with a few friends and family, which is what we need - “the layperson” to be interested, and not to write off the concept should BTC take a faceplant.

Awesome… I think that does away with their argument altogether. Thank you for explaining how this works. If everyone earns 1%, then everyone’s proportional share of Peercoin stays the same regardless of what share you set aside for reserve.

[quote=“MeBeingAwesome, post:13, topic:1813”][quote=“CoinTrader, post:12, topic:1813”]Hope I’m not stealing OP’s thunder but I also wrote up an article on Peercoin, for my site: CoinTrader.org… And would love some feedback “straight from the horses mouth” so to speak…

Thanks.

btw… I used a lot of material that I found directly on this forum… if you spot anythng that went unaccredited, let me know and I’ll fix it.[/quote]

Post this in a new thread, it deserves the same level of attention :)[/quote]

Thanks, man… Will do.

[quote=“MeBeingAwesome, post:11, topic:1813”][quote=“Taylor05, post:8, topic:1813”][quote=“MeBeingAwesome, post:3, topic:1813”]Side notes I came across while reading:

Concerning the “1% makes the rich richer” issue, my understanding of the proponents of this theory is that if “rich person” holds 1000 PPC and 10 “poor people” hold 100 PPC each, the issue is that any reserve balance will disproportionately affect “poor people”. Let’s say the reserve balance needed to transact is 50 PPC. Then the “rich person” would earn PoS on 95% of her money. “Poor people” would earn it on only 50% of their money. Thus, I skipped that argument altogether in the article because it is true that money needed to transact wouldn’t earn stake. That’s why I went the route to point out the absurdity even though that’s true. “Rich people” have plenty of other advantages over the poor already (access to exclusive classes of investments like hedge funds, greater diversification of investments, access to tax advice and tax efficient investment vehicles)… the thought that they’d leave their wealth in the form of Peercoin (essentially cash) so that they can get a fraction of a percentage advantage over the general population is absurd. Most people will mint PoS anyway once it’s easy and built into the interface, eroding almost all of this advantage. Hopefully, that makes sense… maybe more for the article, but brevity has already been lost, I’m afraid. :P[/quote]

That certainly makes sense. A Peercoin user brought up that same argument in my thread here.

My rebuttal is that this argument ignores the negative utility associated with holding Peercoin for PoS minting. In your argument the “reserve balance” needed to transact is 50 PPC. That means that the rich person is staking 95% of his holdings (a negative utility, because he cannot spend the coins for a certain time frame afterwards, in this case 520 blocks), whereas the poor people are only staking 50% of their holdings (less of a negative utility on a comparative basis). The very slight increase in PoS rewards over time for the rich person only comes as a result of him accepting the negative utility of less liquidity in his holdings on a short-term basis.[/quote]

That “Peercoin user” is me. I think you are confusing with two issues. One is how the current implenmentation of POS reward affect rich and poor people. Another not being able to move the money affects rich and poor people. I’d say poor people are more affected in the second issue because they have less resources to go around when money is locked in POS minting. Saying that rich people is not getting richer under the current implementation (re the first issue) is not true. It’s misleading and ultimately not good for Peercoin.

Whether this effect (the first issue above) is significant enough to be a concern is another matter. As Taylor05 pointed out, it’s perhaps not an issue for most people. What needs to be said is quantifying “the rich people get richer” effect by giving examples like in my post.