Article 1 - Peercoin is environmentally friendly

Title: Building a better Bitcoin - environmentally friendly Peercoin

• Talk briefly about clones
  • Talk about the need to move to an environmentally friendly solution
  • Pull stats with Bitcoin power usage
  • Sprinkle in Sunny quotes (we’ll target these on Thursday)
  • Minor mention of other improvements over Bitcoin
  • Summary
  • Where to buy Peercoin (PPC)

Note: Obviously we need the wiki and webpage clean-up before launching the article. The idea is to have our articles done ahead of time that way we can setup a coordinated marketing strike.

We need to make media’s job to find a juicy story as easy as possible.

Input needed! Let’s get this one built so we can move on to article 2.

This is great. Have we thought about who our target audiences are? It might inform the channels we employ? I’m thinking we need to make the common bitcoiner and even some folks who have not invested in bitcoin, rather than hitting miners/crypto-wonks. One of my colleagues has gotten so sick of hearing about bitcoin he has negative connotations to it… (not just from me) but when I told him about peercoin he got very interested.

Also, I think we should consider a press release through one of those automated services that blasts them out to the world. We would need to get the collection hat passed around for that.

Also, just in terms of content I think an important opening would be to talk about why competition is important and inevitable in crypto-coins. And maybe also the importance of diversifying one’s portfolio.

I’m really busy this week, but I’ll have a go at putting together a draft article this weekend/early next week.

Thanks Nox, I’ll make sure to ask Sunny questions on Thursday that helps reinforce this article.

Thanks Nox, I’ll make sure to ask Sunny questions on Thursday that helps reinforce this article.[/quote]

Thanks - I think there are a couple of areas that would be good to have Sunny’s thoughts on:

1. Bitcoin Transaction Fees

As the cost of payment processing with Bitcoin is so much lower, and has less risk, than accepting payment by credit card online. If the transaction fees had to rise to support miners in continuing to providing the hashing power to the Bitcoin network, then wouldn’t companies such as Amazon just run mining farms to process transactions then allowing them (and potentially others) to offer free or very low cost transaction fees on Bitcoin payments.

This would be beneficial to Amazon provided the cost of running the mining farm was outweighed by their payment processing costs (I’m going to guess these are around 1 - 1.5% of their $61 billion turnover so could be in the range of $61 million per year which would run a lot miners).

1. 51% Attack

51% attack on the blockchain - With the rise of ASIC miners and the Bitcoin network passing 2 PH/s it would now be very capital intensive to mount a prolonged 51% on the blockchain.

This also brings the question of why would someone attempt it as the benefits of controlling 51% of the blockchain are probably outweighed by the costs of acquiring the hardware to mount it.

It is conceivable that Governments could mount such an attack - China, Russia and the USA are probably the only ones with the means to do it. China and Russia would like to see an end to the dollar domination so not in their interest to do it… The USA could do it, but if it was ever traced back to the USA/Fed then it would be a disaster for them internationally.

1. Power Consumption

What would be useful, and I’ll see if I can find some figures, is to compare the power consumption of the Bitcoin network with future predictions with the Peercoin network on PoW/PoS and then also the current payment services providers network (for example, the power of the DCs that Visa/Mastercard/Amex run to process transactions).

Thanks Nox, I’ll make sure to ask Sunny questions on Thursday that helps reinforce this article.[/quote]

Thanks - I think there are a couple of areas that would be good to have Sunny’s thoughts on:

As the cost of payment processing with Bitcoin is so much lower, and has less risk, than accepting payment by credit card online. If the transaction fees had to rise to support miners in continuing to providing the hashing power to the Bitcoin network, then wouldn’t companies such as Amazon just run mining farms to process transactions then allowing them (and potentially others) to offer free or very low cost transaction fees on Bitcoin payments.

This would be beneficial to Amazon provided the cost of running the mining farm was outweighed by their payment processing costs (I’m going to guess these are around 1 - 1.5% of their $61 billion turnover so could be in the range of $61 million per year which would run a lot miners).

1. 51% Attack

51% attack on the blockchain - With the rise of ASIC miners and the Bitcoin network passing 2 PH/s it would now be very capital intensive to mount a prolonged 51% on the blockchain.

This also brings the question of why would someone attempt it as the benefits of controlling 51% of the blockchain are probably outweighed by the costs of acquiring the hardware to mount it.

It is conceivable that Governments could mount such an attack - China, Russia and the USA are probably the only ones with the means to do it. China and Russia would like to see an end to the dollar domination so not in their interest to do it… The USA could do it, but if it was ever traced back to the USA/Fed then it would be a disaster for them internationally.

1. Power Consumption

What would be useful, and I’ll see if I can find some figures, is to compare the power consumption of the Bitcoin network with future predictions with the Peercoin network on PoW/PoS and then also the current payment services providers network (for example, the power of the DCs that Visa/Mastercard/Amex run to process transactions).[/quote]

Noted. I’ll make sure all of this gets addressed Thursday.

I would love to help with this, I have limited amount of time, but at the very least I’d like to be able to proof-read it and give some input before a final/official release.

Look forward to your input. Once I finish the interview with Sunny tomorrow, I plan on getting some rough draft ideas together.

1. 51% Attack

1. Power Consumption

What would be useful, and I’ll see if I can find some figures, is to compare the power consumption of the Bitcoin network with future predictions with the Peercoin network on PoW/PoS and then also the current payment services providers network (for example, the power of the DCs that Visa/Mastercard/Amex run to process transactions).[/quote]

I think there are several topics on peercoin. Maybe it can be separated to three essays according to peercoin’s HSE:

1. Healthy growth and evolution: peercoin PoW mining and PoS mining, tx fee destroy and PoS interest, which combines a great coin evolution

2. Secure network and transaction: it’s obvious that the combined PoW and PoS protocol make sure peercoin’s security though check point exist at present

3. Environmently friendly/ Energy efficiency: peercoin is the green coin.

So peercoin makes better health, security and environment for us.

Nox mentioned he would start this article over the weekend / early next week.

I wouldn’t mind checking it out as well. Maybe we should be sharing this stuff on google docs so we can collaborate on edits?

Love it! Do you mind heading that up hammyburger?

Done!

Here is the link to the google doc - I opened it up so that “anybody with the link” can “edit”…

I also copied in the comments that seems to have an opinion about the content of the doc.

Current Energy Efficiency Statistics:

As of November 12, 2013
Market Cap: (Bitinfocharts)
Bitcoin 11,984,125 BTC
Peercoin 37,439 BTC

Hash Rate:
Bitcoin 5.1Q
Peercoin 12.25T

Value secured by a Giga Hash
Bitcoin: 11,984,125 / 5,100,000 = 2.35 bitcoins secured per GH
Peercoin: 37,439 / 12,250 = 3.06 bitcoins worth of Peercoins secured per GH

Calculation:
(3.06 - 2.35) / 2.35 = .302 (or 30.2%)

Conclusion:
Peercoin is currently 30.2% more energy efficient than Bitcoin. I would think that this energy efficiency should increase over time as well.

Did some investigation on Bitcoin power consumption.

British Gas charges 13.09p per kwh in London
Assume everyone using ASIC - Arbitrarily pick Avalon 4 which does 90GH/S with a power supply of 750W
Nov 10 – 4,500,000GH/S on bitcoin network which is 50,000 Avalons
1 hour = 6 blocks = 256 = 150 BTC/hour
50,000 Avalons = 50,000
0.75 = 37,500 kwh * 13.09p = £4,908/hour
£4,908/150 = £32 per bitcoin
37,500kwh * 0.44548 = 16,705kg CO2e (0.44548 is from http://www.carbontrust.com/resources/guides/carbon-footprinting-and-reporting/conversion-factors)

How does that look to people?

[quote=“mcgin, post:17, topic:479”]Did some investigation on Bitcoin power consumption.

British Gas charges 13.09p per kwh in London
Assume everyone using ASIC - Arbitrarily pick Avalon 4 which does 90GH/S with a power supply of 750W
Nov 10 – 4,500,000GH/S on bitcoin network which is 50,000 Avalons
1 hour = 6 blocks = 256 = 150 BTC/hour
50,000 Avalons = 50,000
0.75 = 37,500 kwh * 13.09p = £4,908/hour
£4,908/150 = £32 per bitcoin
37,500kwh * 0.44548 = 16,705kg CO2e (0.44548 is from http://www.carbontrust.com/resources/guides/carbon-footprinting-and-reporting/conversion-factors)

How does that look to people?[/quote]
wow nice investigating!! that some carbon footprint!

This was a post I drafted for another thread but works here – It needs some more work as it is very rough, I suspect the proportions of mining power are more skewed towards to 55nm and 28nm chips now.

I suspect the energy calculations for Bitcoin are pretty off on Blockchain.info:

• Electricity consumption is estimated based on power consumption of 650 Watts per gigahash and electricity price of 15 cent per kilowatt hour. In reality some miners will be more or less efficient.

The exponential rise in hashing power from 400 TH/s to 4000 TH/s has been largely powered by ASICs. Albeit a mixture of 110nm to 28nm… For the sake of comparison I’ve assumed a fairly even split between 110nm (Avalon, ASICMiner), 50nm (BFL) and 28nm (KNC, Cointerra, etc) in the last four months and I’ve taken figures from my own KNC Saturn (270 GH/s), Avalon 4 Module (100 GH/s) and BFL SC (60GH/s).

Saturn: 1.3 W per GH
Avalon: 9.2 W per GH
BFL: 4.6 W per GH

New hashing power: 3600 TH/s (3,600,000 GH/s)

Apportioned power

Saturn: 1,200,000 GH x 0.0013 KW = 1560 KW
Avalon: 1,200,000 GH x 0.0092 KW = 11040 KW
BFL: 1,200,000 GH x 0.0046 KW = 5520 KW

Total: 18120 KW

18120 KW x 732 Hours = 13263840 KWh per month x 12 = 159166080 KWh per year

Cost @ $0.15 per kwH = $23,874,912 per year

159166080 KWh per year x 0.44548 KG CO2 = 70905305.3184 KG of CO2 per year for the Bitcoin network

This is the same as 23,396 cars on the road (Using data from http://www.epa.gov/cleanenergy/energy-resources/refs.html#vehicles) or 261,162 barrels of oil being burnt

This isn’t going to be accurate, I’m going to try and refine it though, as it only takes into account the new hashing power in the last four months (90% of the current hashing power) and I suspect the proportions are off as I imagine the 28nm and 50nm miners have a higher proportion than 33% which would reduce this further. The original 400 TH/s has largely been replaced by ASIC power I would guess, last time I looked GPU and FGPA weren’t profitable to run and it would be easy to have had 10% of the network power replaced.

So the Bitcoin network is now 130x times more efficient than it was just four months ago if we extrapolate the same 3,600 TH/s out at 0.650 KW per GH.

The real question is how much has this improved the network, reduced confirmation times and how much of that original 110 and 50nm ASIC power will move over the Peercoin (or gets shutdown).

If the price of BTC/USD levels out then I think we will see the older generation miners become operational unprofitable around Jan/Feb, however if we continue to have 50-60% rises in the BTC/USD then they could stay around until May or June. At this point it is interesting:

• If a miner is looking at it from a fiat income point of view they will continue to mine on the older 110nm ASICs if the price of USD is still rising even though it would be more profitable long term to spend the monthly running costs of the miner on buying Bitcoins

• If they are looking at it from a pure BTC income point of view then you buy BTC with the running costs and shut the miner down. Or move it over to mining on Peercoin depending on block reward and exchange price at the time.

What I think will happen

The cost of mining hardware is still too high. It is priced in USD and with a Bitcoin conversion the ROI are so slim it is less risk to buy that equivalent BTC (some are around 2-5% ROI).

A lot of mining hardware will continue to be sold though over the next three months. The price rise of BTC will still get people spending USD to be part of Bitcoin by buying mining hardware as they heard that ASICs make lots of Bitcoins (especially with the new press coverage).

We may start to see a leveling of the difficulty and hashing power around May to July 2014. As the difficulty rises mean that everyone who bought a miner is either trying to sell it second hand

Peercoin

[Space to insert some figures about peercoin energy usage and PoW/PoS comparisons]

Yeah. It has to level off at some point. At the rate BTC is currently going, (increasing 20% per month) it would be over 50,000,000,000 TH/s in 7.5 years. And if the BTC price keeps up with it (increasing 20% per month) as well, in 7.5 years 1 BTC would be worth over $4 billion dollars.