Any hints when PeerShares goes live?

I am planning to start a business that allows selling nubits and other cryptos OTC. It would be great if I was able to also make use of PeerShares. Currently PeerShares seems to be only functional in testnet mode. Does anyone know how close we are to the goLive of PeerShares?

I was under the impression, that peershares is functional already. You just have to create your own chain?!

Plesae correct my asap, if I’m wrong.

[quote=“willywithcoinnode, post:2, topic:2945”]I was under the impression, that peershares is functional already. You just have to create your own chain?!

Plesae correct my asap, if I’m wrong.[/quote]

according to http://peershares.net/

Peershares TestNet Client

These builds have been configured to only
work in TestNet mode.

from here I deduce it’s not live yet.

Yes. Those are the pre compiled testnet binaries for the testnet chain… If you compile your own chain and binaries, I think it should work.

I looked the link you gave and I must admit I’m a bit disappointed that they require code changes to start a new PeerShares blockchain. It should definitely be easier and not require programming skills, even though I’m a programmer myself it would be much better for the PeerShares project if it didn’t require those skills.

The project is early beta.

Also creating chains is something which is not made to be done by any user, as only few people require to create their own chain.

[quote=“willywithcoinnode, post:6, topic:2945”]The project is early beta.

Also creating chains is something which is not made to be done by any user, as only few people require to create their own chain.[/quote]

from the bottom of my heart, I dislike this policy. Anyone, programmer or not, should be able to easily create their own shares based on the PeerShares template. There should be a GUI/form built into the peershares client for that. it should work out-of-the-box.

[quote=“Hyena, post:7, topic:2945”][quote=“willywithcoinnode, post:6, topic:2945”]The project is early beta.

Also creating chains is something which is not made to be done by any user, as only few people require to create their own chain.[/quote]

from the bottom of my heart, I dislike this policy.[/quote]

Idk if this is the policy of the peershares devs. I’m not a part of it.

Maybe this kind of GUI is already planned and it be implemented in future versions?

[quote=“willywithcoinnode, post:8, topic:2945”][quote=“Hyena, post:7, topic:2945”][quote=“willywithcoinnode, post:6, topic:2945”]The project is early beta.

from the bottom of my heart, I dislike this policy.[/quote]

Idk if this is the policy of the peershares devs. I’m not a part of it.

Maybe this kind of GUI is already planned and it be implemented in future versions?[/quote]

Yeah, I’m pretty sure the devs would like the idea if it’s not yet already included in their development plan. I’m relatively unaware of the specifics, but it seems intuitive to have it as easy as possible to issue new types of shares.

This was never the intent of the initial stages of the Peershares project.

It is a nice goal to aspire to for a future phase, but designing a system that allows you to make changes to the underlying source code, generate a new block chain, and then recompile a new binary is outside the scope of what we can support at this point. In the future, it would be a great enhancement to add, so we’ll take it under consideration.

The Peershares client you can download to test with is representative of a network, not the network. There is no central Peershares instance because every network would be developed independently for that offerer.

We’ve made it significantly easier for people to create their own offerings using the steps we outline in the Github wiki, but these are the early days and a moderate level of technical skill is required for the implementation.

[quote=“Ben, post:10, topic:2945”]This was never the intent of the initial stages of the Peershares project.

It is a nice goal to aspire to for a future phase, but designing a system that allows you to make changes to the underlying source code, generate a new block chain, and then recompile a new binary is outside the scope of what we can support at this point. In the future, it would be a great enhancement to add, so we’ll take it under consideration.

The Peershares client you can download to test with is representative of a network, not the network. There is no central Peershares instance because every network would be developed independently for that offerer.

We’ve made it significantly easier for people to create their own offerings using the steps we outline in the Github wiki, but these are the early days and a moderate level of technical skill is required for the implementation.[/quote]

Thanks for such a complete reply. I got it all wrong then. I always thought that PeerShares would be the one client that is capable of storing any number of share types. It leaves me wondering though, why is it so difficult to build such a framework. The code changes seem to be just changing some constants. As a programmer I don’t immediately see an absolute need for compiling the C++ code in order to create a new peershares instance.

A PeerShares client that embeds many block chains and allows intuitive creation of new block chains would just need to have a different thread for each block chain. Each thread maintains its own block chain and RPC calls should enable defining the responsible thread/blockchain. Getting rid of the hardcoded constants in code should be the first step towards the creation of such PeerShares container.

Perhaps it would be wise to start a new project that would use RPC calls to manage many PeerShares blockchains in a single GUI? NuBits is a bit of an exceptional case because it implements so many custom features such as motivations and voting. A typical PeerShares instance only requires creation of the initial shares and dividend paying possibility.

I just made my own chain… guess I would just have to spread my compiled peersharesd and anyone could hop on my chain?

How about windows compilations?

I just made my own chain… guess I would just have to spread my compiled peersharesd and anyone could hop on my chain?

How about windows compilations?[/quote]

You should rather distribute the source code so that people can compare with the template and see what code changes you have made. I’d never run an instance of peershares compiled by some anon :stuck_out_tongue:

Fair point, but this would require a user who is able to compile source code. Damn.

Fair point, but this would require a user who is able to compile source code. Damn.[/quote]

Regular Joes won’t care, just make sure to provide source code with the binaries in case a security-aware person downloads your program.

Speaking of the binaries issue, this is another reason why PeerShares should rather be a container for many block chains than a template for a single block chain. If PeerShares was such a container then people should only trust the PeerShares developers but with the current implementation of PeerShares people must also trust the individual issuer and their code.

These are great ideas, Hyena. We’ve been very focused on our extension to Peershares for the past few months, so development on the core has been very limited, but I’ll add a couple of enhancement requests to the issues list to start the discussions.

Peerunity is going to be the multi-block client, but there is no reason that we can’t start with adding that functionality to Peershares and then adapt it from there.

I’ll add links here to those enhancements once I’ve added them. Hopefully you’ll join us in those discussions; you’ve shown a lot of interest and we’d really appreciate the continued feedback.

In my “perfect world” view, we’d create a new, non-Qt client to handle the front end. RPC is the most logical method to interact with the different block chains that could be connected to. This way, as long each Peershares offering is compatible with the portfolio client, security concerns can be minimized (you just need to trust the client you are running, rather than every Peershares offering network it interacts with – once we figure out a way to make it so you don’t need to run each offering’s unique daemon in the background)

That last part will be an interesting problem to solve now that I think about it…

Ok thanks, I’ll gladly participate in these discussions. I might even be useful as a developer in some of the projects because I have solid C++ skills.