[DEFUNCT] Peercoin Android Wallet 3.2 Released

So that people are aware I am having a few problems debugging the update to the app. Some changes to Android make it more difficult, though I should be able to do it. As a result of these problems it has prompted me to introduce the loading screen to the app before releasing these changes.

For a more technical explanation: Debugging the app causes the initialisation to be even slower than usual and this almost always causes an ANR. It appears that a recent change in Android has been introduced which sends a SIGABRT signal to applications that produce an ANR. This annoying change in Android makes it impossible to debug the ANR as it disconnects the debugger. I will be looking at ways around this (using the emulator most likely), and I will look into solving the ANR problems by moving initialisation off the UI thread and presenting a progress dialog to the user.

If anyone would be interested in testing pre-release binaries of the new update please send me a PM. You’ll be able to test out the new features before I put together the final release. The development is going quite well, I’m now mostly ironing out bugs. I have not verified the app against all of my tests yet, but I’m getting there. It would be good to have some other testers to find things that I might miss.

Is the code causing ANR running on GUI/rendering thread?

Indeed, which means I am having to asynchronise much of the code.

[size=24pt]Soon…[/size]

Excellent! Keep up the good work!

Good!
Now start to look for an android phone. Problem is my current winM phone just chuggs along … :))

Indeed, which means I am having to asynchronise much of the code.[/quote]

I’m sure you already know of AsyncTask  |  Android Developers (or maybe even better FutureTask) so I won’t even mention it.

Yes, I’m using a mixture of AsyncTask and AsyncTaskLoaders. I was hoping to finish testing today but then a bunch of problems showed up towards the end. Unfortunately the update will be delayed a while longer.

Just a quick update. I realise it has been some time now. I’ve not forgotten about the Peercoin app update, but I do need to get something done for February as it has a deadline to it. Until I’ve got that work out of the way I ought not to put too much time towards the app just yet. After that I should be able to finish the update which I suspect to be reasonably near completion. It took longer than expected due to many changes and fixes needed. As always “it will be done when it’s done”.

I am pleased to announce that version 2.0 has just been released and will become available on Google play over the next few hours, or you can get it here: https://github.com/MatthewLM/peercoin-android-wallet/releases

Make sure to back up the wallet before updating! After you have updated you should make a new backup.

Here is what to expect:

• You can now set a spending PIN in the “Safety” menu.
  • New deterministic wallets mean that a wallet can be restored by a single backup.
  • New loading screens prevent “Application Not Responding” problems.
  • Allows you to send fast bluetooth payments by default.
  • Improved interface and other general improvements.

Please report any issues to me.

Thanks!

Matthew

Very nice! Testing now :slight_smile:

Installing now… Feels faster with updating on first sight.
Love the archive with email option! Very user friendly 8)

Will have a better look later.

Thanks.

BTW Google did an auto update trick on me on my test device. Should have turned that off in the first place, couldn’t make a backup before it updated. So lost 1 PPC or so. So can’t stress enough make a backup and store it somewhere else (in case you device is wiped or stolen).

Hi Cybnate,

Can you please go to Settings -> Diagnostics -> Report issue and please email an error report. The wallet file should upgrade and no coins should be lost. But you never know if something might go wrong which is why I ask people to backup (you should always have a backup regardless anyway). If you send that report I might have some idea as to why your wallet didn’t update.

Thanks,

Matthew

Edit: Released version 2.1 containing a bugfix, solving a bug which might cause a crash on startup.

[quote=“MatthewLM, post:94, topic:2846”]Hi Cybnate,

Can you please go to Settings -> Diagnostics -> Report issue and please email an error report. The wallet file should upgrade and no coins should be lost. But you never know if something might go wrong which is why I ask people to backup (you should always have a backup regardless anyway). If you send that report I might have some idea as to why your wallet didn’t update.

Thanks,

Matthew

Edit: Released version 2.1 containing a bugfix, solving a bug which might cause a crash on startup.[/quote]

I think it was a false alarm. Just traced the transfers in and out I made from my main wallet and it looks like there was nothing in there in the first place. And you just provided me with another test opportunity :wink:

Glad to hear there was no problem Cybnate.

I’ve just published version 2.2 with another small bugfix and update to the Norwegian Bokmål translation, with thanks to sandakersmann.

For those struggling to connect to peers at this present time, please go to the menu -> Settings -> Settings -> Trusted Peer and type in 107.170.43.92.

An update will hopefully come out tomorrow with bugfixes, and this will also help circumvent connection problems.

I have just released version 2.3: https://github.com/MatthewLM/peercoin-android-wallet/releases/tag/v2.3

This should also become available on Google Play shortly. In this release:

• Fixes backup connection to server, when the app fails to connect to other nodes.
  • Fixes start-up crash

Fantastic! Thank you :slight_smile:

Great job [member=31330]MatthewLM[/member]! I wish we could have someone taking care of iOS dev as well. Do you know anyone who could be interested to port your wallet for iOS devices?