[DEFUNCT] Peercoin Android Wallet 3.2 Released

Is the wallet actually crashing or is it giving an Application Not Responding (ANR) notice? There is one issue that the blockchain can take some time to load on slower devices. This blocks the main thread, though it ought not to.

Congratulations! Great work :slight_smile:

Yeah, I think it was just my slow phone. I was able to get the wallet up and running on another phone so all good.

Just installed on my phone and send 10 coins. Mobile is the future and this step is very very important.
Thanks for the hard work!

http://bkchain.org/ppc/address/PHYsT4HACNAyjEou2x9ufopGKuRJJAfeYT

hello,

I wanted to use the App and it worked. I sent 50 PPC to it but now it always crashes, when I start it on my phone (galaxy 1). Does anyone know how to get the private key?

When I start the app there is a white screen and after about 30sec it says: App doesn’t respond/react (don’t know the exact English words).

thanks.

[quote=“MatthewLM, post:1, topic:2846”]

On Google Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.matthewmitchell.peercoin_android_wallet

Original Bitcoin Wallet: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.schildbach.wallet

Android app on Github: https://github.com/MatthewLM/peercoin-android-wallet
Peercoinj on Github: https://github.com/MatthewLM/peercoinj
Explorer on Github: https://github.com/MatthewLM/PeercoinAbeExplorer

Donate: PHYsT4HACNAyjEou2x9ufopGKuRJJAfeYT
You can also Donate in the app directly. On the Menu go to “Tip / Donate”

The Peercoin Android wallet based upon Andreas Schildbach’s popular Bitcoin wallet has been released. The app allows you to send and receive Peercoins on your device using QR codes, NFC and URI links. The application uses a centralised server to validate blocks but private keys are never shared. The server provides valid block hashes through the getvalidhashes API method here: https://peercoinexplorer.info/q

The app is labelled as Beta, as it is open for public testing. The application may have unfound bugs and problems. The NFC function has not been tested yet. Problems can be reported to matthewmitchell@thelibertyportal.com

This application is licensed under the GPL version 3. There is no warranty and no party shall be made liable to you for damages. If you lose coins due to this app, no compensation will be given. Use this app solely at your own risk.

Developer - Matthew Mitchell[/quote]
I hope to see soon in f-droid
https://f-droid.org/

Thanks everyone, and thanks for the donation redlee.

[quote=“franktoast, post:45, topic:2846”]hello,

I wanted to use the App and it worked. I sent 50 PPC to it but now it always crashes, when I start it on my phone (galaxy 1). Does anyone know how to get the private key?

When I start the app there is a white screen and after about 30sec it says: App doesn’t respond/react (don’t know the exact English words).[/quote]

This is because the app stalls the UI thread during the initial loading process. Please do not force close the app. Instead press the “Wait” button and wait for the app to load the blockchain which may take a considerable time on older devices.

As for f-droid, I took a look into their release process and it appears very complex. Does anyone have experience with f-droid that would like to help submit the app?

I didn’t see this mentioned anywhere… will the wallet stake for you?

Sorry, the wallet does not have a minting feature yet. If I receive enough donations to warrant doing so, I may be able to develop this functionality. Before doing that I’d like to add a loading screen and publicise a testnet version of the app.

Thanks again, MatthewLM, for bringing Peercoin to Android. I’ve been using your wallet for over a week now, and I still haven’t encountered any significant issues. Please accept this tip I’m sending now!

I would donate enthusiastically to an android wallet that can mint locally and verify all hashes directly on phone/device hardware. If this is not a realistic goal right now, I would rather see someone focus attention on incorporating a secured JSON interface with a privately-selected full-wallet. Something compatible with Peerchemist’s PCF project would be ideal. (Cryptoblog - notícias sobre bitcoin e criptomoedas!)

… although I still can’t justify buying a RasPi when I have so many obsolete yet more powerful Android ARM devices lying around collecting dust!

Thanks for the donation.

The minting would work by using a central server. To verify blocks on the Android wallet it would require to keep track of valid transaction outputs, and thus do full validation. My app was designed to be lightweight for mobile devices.This is why I chose to use a central server to provide the wallets with a list of valid block hashes. To implement minting, the central server would have to provide a block template for the Android app to generate the proof of stake. I am interested in creating a pooled minting system, similar to mining pools, so owners of low coin age can still earn some interest. This would involve a lot of work but would have value not only for the Android wallet but potentially for Desktop wallets as well.

[quote=“MatthewLM, post:51, topic:2846”]Thanks for the donation.

The minting would work by using a central server. To verify blocks on the Android wallet it would require to keep track of valid transaction outputs, and thus do full validation. My app was designed to be lightweight for mobile devices.This is why I chose to use a central server to provide the wallets with a list of valid block hashes. To implement minting, the central server would have to provide a block template for the Android app to generate the proof of stake. I am interested in creating a pooled minting system, similar to mining pools, so owners of low coin age can still earn some interest. This would involve a lot of work but would have value not only for the Android wallet but potentially for Desktop wallets as well.[/quote]

I think pooled minting will

1. increase network security.
  2. somehow encourage centralization?

If minting on android wallet viable, will it be very energy-consuming?

If cold wallet minting is in the pipeline, why bother investing time and money in a soon to be obsolete hot-minting function?

So you suggest to use the cold minting in a way which it was not initially intended by having the spending keys on an Android wallet instead of cold storage? And then the minting can be done on separate hardware? It might be possible but then there is no present two-key minting solution, and then it would be more simple for the user to just use one software and hardware for the spending and minting on Android devices.

If you meant to incorporate the cold minting into the Android wallet so that coins can be sent to a cold minting address in the Android wallet, then that could be done in the future too, but then what about users who don’t want to do that and want to keep coins on their device for quick and easy spending? “Hot” minting wont be obsolete.

And the pooled minting idea would have multiple uses and could be combined with a cold minting solution as well. The pooled minting should be viewed as separate to the Android wallet, but the Android wallet could make use of it.

@redlee: Minting is not arbitrarily energy-consuming like mining is. The processing involved would scale with the number of unspent outputs which are old enough to be staked. This might mean limiting the number of outputs which go towards minting at any one time, to ensure that the mining only takes up a low amount of resources. However chances are, unless you have a super slow phone with many outputs, this will never be an issue. Basically the number of hashing (SHA256d) operations per second would be the number of unspent outputs past the minimum age threshold, which should be negligible.

Ok, feature request: have the client load keys from a paper wallet. This way people will not have to send funds from a paper wallet avoiding a transaction and also They would feel a little more secure going from a backup to the wallet knowing they can always just use the backup if the wallet stops working.

My peerbox uses ~10% more CPU when it mints with maybe 10 UTXOs. For peerbox it is about ~0.5W if we equate 100% CPU useage to full power of peerbox. I suspect minting will have an appreciable effect on battery time of phones.

btw does Peercoin not have this problem?

I’m sure most devices will be able to do some level of minting even if it means to limit the number of outputs involved.

You’re probably right about this. I’m so excited to see cold wallet minting that anythink else just made no sense to me. But in the case you’ve mentioned: yes. Hot wallet minting still makes sense.

Per the latest proposal presented by sigmike, “hot” minting will indeed be obsolete. Cold minting addresses are multi-sig. They can be sent with the secret spending key at any time. There will be no purpose for minting using spending keys once miniting-only keys are implemented.

Now, your idea of pooled minting from a central server would likely require users to trust you with their spending keys, which is an entirely different discussion… I agree with your intention to keep a clear separation between the private Android wallet you’ve created and any future testing of a pooled minting “add-on.”

Cold minting would only be a benefit if the spending and mining keys were to be handled separately, such as the spending keys being encrypted or in cold storage.

As for pooled minting, or any centralised minting, the private keys don’t have to be given to the server, and in-fact the client doesn’t need to spend any resources looking for a valid coinstake. The server can look for the coinstake and the client can sign it afterwards. Maybe I’m missing something though.

Minting, would be an optional feature indeed, and it would be off by default.

I’ve just tested the NFC and bluetooth functionality and it works great.