[ANN] Peerbox project

Version is 0.24.2
No worries, I am updating as we speak

When I run peerbox-info I get “ppcoind inactive”
When I try to run it with sudo ppcoind nothing happens
if I run ppcoind, I get N5boost10filesystem16filesystem_errorE
boost;;filesystem;;create_directory: No space left on device: “/home/sunny/.ppcoin/database”
ppcoin in AppInit()

terminate called after throwing an instance of "boost::filesystem::filesystem_error’
what(): boost::filesystem::create_Directory: No space left on device “/home/sunny/.ppcoin/database”
Aborted (core dumped)

[quote=“fishb0ne, post:221, topic:2485”]Version is 0.24.2
No worries, I am updating as we speak

When I run peerbox-info I get “ppcoind inactive”
When I try to run it with sudo ppcoind nothing happens
if I run ppcoind, I get N5boost10filesystem16filesystem_errorE
boost;;filesystem;;create_directory: No space left on device: “/home/sunny/.ppcoin/database”
ppcoin in AppInit()

terminate called after throwing an instance of "boost::filesystem::filesystem_error’
what(): boost::filesystem::create_Directory: No space left on device “/home/sunny/.ppcoin/database”
Aborted (core dumped)[/quote]

Ok, let me know what happens with new version.

About that error with v0.24, you are using it so wrong it hurts :slight_smile: But not relevant now, just test new version.

You mean trying to run ppcoind manually? Hah, I’m sure. Well, next time power goes out we will see. However, I think this really might be something tied into the raspberry pi. I say this because my other Pi had to be unplugged for a few seconds, from the same storm. In other words power flickered and the pi didn’t manage to do a proper restart on its own.

And since I have your attention here, any thoughts about implementing comprehensive logging tools? It might be interesting to have something like vnstat to log traffic and another tool to log connected users and report out. Is there a way to do this with Peerbox?

[quote=“fishb0ne, post:223, topic:2485”]You mean trying to run ppcoind manually? Hah, I’m sure. Well, next time power goes out we will see. However, I think this really might be something tied into the raspberry pi. I say this because my other Pi had to be unplugged for a few seconds, from the same storm. In other words power flickered and the pi didn’t manage to do a proper restart on its own.

And since I have your attention here, any thoughts about implementing comprehensive logging tools? It might be interesting to have something like vnstat to log traffic and another tool to log connected users and report out. Is there a way to do this with Peerbox?[/quote]

Okay, will add vnstat to repository. Bump me if it is not there by weekend.

Installation will go like this:

sudo pacman -Sy vnstat

You are awesome. That is all.

Kind of a late update, but I was able to successfully install vnstat and it is happily logging traffic.
I am going to post regular updates to my Twitter account for anyone that cares, www.twitter.com/fishbone_
I’m just not sure yet if I want to post weekly, bi-weekly or monthly stats.
I wish there was a way to log # of connections, in order to tell the story behind the traffic numbers.

My peerbox v0.23 is runnning out of space in /var/lib/ppcoid

-rw------- 1 ppcoind ppcoind 249363689 Jun 23 15:25 blk0001.dat
-rw------- 1 ppcoind ppcoind 164339712 Jun 23 15:25 blkindex.dat

[sunny@peerbox ppcoind]$ df -h .
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p6 597M 536M 47M 92% /var/lib/ppcoind

ppcoind would exit after synching for two hours due to no disk space.

what should i do?

[quote=“mhps, post:227, topic:2485”]My peerbox v0.23 is runnning out of space in /var/lib/ppcoid

-rw------- 1 ppcoind ppcoind 249363689 Jun 23 15:25 blk0001.dat
-rw------- 1 ppcoind ppcoind 164339712 Jun 23 15:25 blkindex.dat

[sunny@peerbox ppcoind]$ df -h .
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/mmcblk0p6 597M 536M 47M 92% /var/lib/ppcoind

ppcoind would exit after synching for two hours due to no disk space.

what should i do?[/quote]

do you have any 8 GB sd cards? if so, you could upgrade to 0.25

@mhps

Yes, please update.

Thanks. peerbox.me was down yesterday but it seems ok now.

I just burnt and started Peerbox-raspi-v0.25-RC2 but I cannot login with username=sunny pwd=peerbox.me . Have these been changed?

try username=sunny, password=sunny

try username=sunny, password=sunny[/quote]

Thanks. The top post of this pinned top thread should be updated accordingly. peerbox.me has no documentation. All it does is pointing to this site. This is not good for adoption.

Nah, let’s leave all helping info and documentation somewhere where nobody can find it easily (and surely not on https://peerbox.me/) :). Also, let’s not have any easy tutorials and tools to setup Peerbox from A to Z, so that only techy people can build their own Peerbox. And for sure with this, everyone who just heard about Peercoin will be encouraged to build their Peerbox and spread the words of Peercoin!

Marketing done the right way );.

[size=1pt]Oh, btw I was being sarcastic, but this is exactly how [member=30983]peerchemist[/member] is handling stuff it seems :).[/size]

Are we thinking of putting something together? I’d be up for it :slight_smile:
My goal would be to make it as condensed and straight forward as possible.

1. buy a Raspberry Pi B or B+ - here are some vendors
    http://www.alliedelec.com
    http://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi
    www.amazon.com

2. buy a micro-USB power adapter, LAN cable, 8 GB SD card
    Any vendor is fine, but the power adapter must be able to provide 5V, 2A of power

3. download Win32DiskImager if you’re on Windows or ImageWriter if you’re on a Mac

4. download the latest Peerbox ISO from here

5. use Win32DiskImager or ImageWriter to copy the ISO to the SD card

6. set-up port forwarding on your router

7. hook up all the hardware, plug in the Pi to power last step

8. useful commands and other stuff/steps

Edit: Thierus, forgot you had one already written up. I think it’s nice and gets it done, but may benefit from a little bit of a rewrite to make it more user friendly. Our biggest target ought to be Windows users. In fact, that would be the easiest and most straight forward process of getting the ISO onto an SD card.

1. & 5) http://rufus.akeo.ie/
Oh, and Rufus is fast. For instance it's about twice as fast as UNetbootin, Universal USB Installer or Windows 7 USB download tool, on the creation of a Windows 7 USB installation drive from an ISO. It is also marginally faster on the creation of Linux bootable USB from ISOs. ([url=http://rufus.akeo.ie/#ref1]1[/url]) A non exhaustive list of Rufus supported ISOs is also provided at the bottom of this page. ([url=http://rufus.akeo.ie/#ref2]2[/url])

It wouldn’t work. Rufus makes USB drives bootable. The raspberry pi reads the boot code from the SD slot so you can’t boot from the USB drive. Besides, Rufus is intended for something else. What’s needed here is a tool to burn an ISO image to SD card.

yes it would work

just select DD, and write to SD card

those other programs are old, messes up SD cards, dont recommend them, after imgwriter messed up a couple SD cards i tried successfully with rufus, maybe you should try first too

Personally I don’t care what software folks use, as long as it gets the job done. I have used Win32DiskImager for years and has never caused an issue. It is more likely that the problem was the SD card to begin with, which has been my experience as well. IN writing the image, it encounters a defective spot. The other advantage is that Win32DiskImager also allows to read an SD card and write to an ISO image, thus performing a full back-up. If Rufus can do that as well, then it sounds like a win to me.

Since downloading the blockchain can take days, there is value in keeping a regular back-up. I back mine up monthly.
I’ve recommended the two pieces of software that I knew work. I’m always open to alternatives, especially because Win32DiskImager feels old to me also.

If people buy a brand new SD card, chances of it being defective are slim. If people are reusing old cards, there is value in testing them by using a tool such as Flash Memory Toolkit. It’s not free though, so I would love to hear about a free alternative which can test an entire card for errors.

[member=30983]peerchemist[/member] , how to assign a fixed IP to a peerbox (v.25)?