[ANN] Peerbox project

[quote=“badgolfer, post:193, topic:2485”]OK, I’m back to square one.

I deleted the directory /media/USB1 on the raspi.

Copied wallet.dat from my PC to the usb stick, newly formatted and named NerdStick

Inserted into the raspi and tried to see if I could see wallet.dat:

[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo ls /media/NERDSTICK
[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo ls -at /media
. NERDSTICK …
[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo ls -at /media/NERDSTICK
. …
[sunny@peerbox ~]$

As you can see, peerbox does not see anything on the usb stick, but the file is most definitely there in Windows. This is where I was last night.

Hmmmm…[/quote]

I think I’m on to something…

See if anyone else can replicate this:

1. Put EMPTY usb stick in raspi. Mine is called NerdStick
  2. And do: (note that I had already stopped ppcoind)

[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo ls /media
NERDSTICK
[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo cp /var/lib/ppcoind/wallet.dat /media/NERDSTICK
[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo umount /media/NERDSTICK
umount: /media/NERDSTICK: not mounted

1. Take out usb stick, plug into your favorite Windows PC. See if wallet.dat is
    present. In my case it isn’t.

2. With usb still NOT plugged into the raspi, do:

[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo ls /media
NERDSTICK
[sunny@peerbox ~]$ sudo ls /media/NERDSTICK
wallet.dat
[sunny@peerbox ~]$

So it looks like the backup went to a directory on the peerbox itself, not the usb stick.
Also, referencing what is quoted above from my previous message, it seems that peerbox cannot see files created on my WinXP machine.

Some sort of file system incompatibility?

I have too look into this myself.
I do not have windows machine at hand, so I can not test it.

However it seems that udev really does not remove directory in /media after it is created. I need to see what can be done with that or replace current implementation with something better.

I’m sorry I can not look into this right now, I have some other issues to tend to right now.

Can you try importing priv-key?

Lucky you. I’m about ready to throw Windows in the dumpster and buy “Linux for Dummies”

Can you try importing priv-key?

I’ll give it a try a bit later. I’m not in a hair tearing rush to mint, as most my coins are not old enough anyway.

Thanks for being patient.

http://torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso.torrent

Give it a shot :wink:

[quote=“peerchemist, post:197, topic:2485”]http://torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso.torrent

Give it a shot ;)[/quote]

When I saw that, I thought it was some sort of Linux based tool for minting coins. LOL.
But — Interesting. I have a trashed XP machine that I might load it on.

Had never tried importing private key before, and it took a long time. Almost gave up thinking Peerbox had crashed. But it worked. Little raspi just sitting quietly on edge of desk, 20 connections currently.

[quote=“badgolfer, post:198, topic:2485”][quote=“peerchemist, post:197, topic:2485”]http://torrents.linuxmint.com/torrents/linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit.iso.torrent

Give it a shot ;)[/quote]

When I saw that, I thought it was some sort of Linux based tool for minting coins. LOL.[/quote]

I noticed a while ago that Linux Mint actually accept Mintcoin donations. Looks like Peercoin was beaten to that strategic partnership :smiley:

Cool, nice to hear that.

Can you write up that process from noobs perspective? I guess some people wonder about the same thing.
Thanks.

Cool, nice to hear that.

Can you write up that process from noobs perspective? I guess some people wonder about the same thing.
Thanks.[/quote]

Sure. Will have to wait until tomorrow, just got invited to golf. 45degF, raining, 30mph winds. But we’re tough…

Importing Private Key into Peerbox

This is an alternative to copying wallet.dat from your PC running Peerunity (or qt) to the Peerbox. Why? Maybe you don’t have a USB memory stick, or perhaps you are having difficulties with the copy proceedure.

Note that there is a bit of a security risk, as you are exposing your private key and it’s possible some sort of malware on your PC might pick it up. I’m using the ‘clipboard’ to copy/paste the key. Run a quick virus scan?

Anyway, here we go:

1. Open Peerunity Console:
    From the menu bar: Help > Debug > Console

2. Unlock wallet:
    Type: walletpassphrase “phrase” 600
    You might need quotes around your passphrase if it contains spaces or special characters. 600 is the number of seconds to leave the wallet unlocked. 10 minutes should be more than adequate.

3. Close Console window - it wants to stay on top and just gets in the way.

4. Click “Receive” tab to find your PPC address.

5. Right click on address you want to use and select “Copy Address”

6. Reopen Console and type:
    dumpprivkey

7. Either copy private key and paste it temporarily somewhere, like in Notepad or leave in console window
    If you have pasted it somewhere, at this point it doesn’t hurt to click the minus sign in Console to erase window contents and close Console window.

8. Open Secure Shell and log in to Peerbox

9. Type: ppcoind importprivkey
    Note: It seems that neither right-click nor Shift-Insert work when using Secure Shell in Windows. Use Ctrl-Shift-V instead.

It will take a while. When processed, check with peerbox-info to see if coins are there.

Now you can run the “mintbox” command, sit back, and let the riches flow in.

Peerbox has been running for 9 hours and it still hasn’t caught up. Is that normal? How long does it usually take?

The op mentions that the image is optimized for 2GB cards. It seems not all 2GB cards are created equal. Mine was a few KB short of being able to accomodate the ISO, so I just used an 8GB card I had laying around.

I have a Mac. Is there a way I can shrink the peerbox.me ISO? Is it possible to do by maybe half a MB so I can make it fit on the 2GB card I have?

Regarding your first question: It depends on several things like your connection, your node luck and sd card i/o speed.

I would say that everything under 3 days is normal.

The rest: @peerchemist ?

I’m patient, I just wanted to be sure it wasn’t an issue

As willy said, under 3 days it is normal. What can happen is that your SD card is nearing the end of life and sometimes blocks become corrupted and than ppcoind will re-download them.

It’s done! I’ve tested the card before using it and there’s no bad blocks. All is well.

What’s the best way to go about keeping peerbox up to date? What command to run?

None.

Peerbox is not designed to be updated. Future versions will be though.

Hi all!

I need help. I have bought a brand new Raspberry Pi 2 (the one with 1 GB memory) to run Peerbox, but it’s not working.
Now I am not sure if I have done something wrong or if the Raspi was already broken on delivery.

I have copied the Peerbox-image on a microSD card (with 32 GB) as described in peerchemist’s guide, then connected my Raspi to the router. But, the LAN-LEDs on both the router and on the Raspi are off, so there the line seems to be dead. When I log into the router, the Raspi is not shown in the connections.

When I connect the Raspi to a monitor, I only get a coloured screen:

If I could at least find out if the Raspberry Pi 2 is broken or not. I know that a Raspberry Pi 1 and a smaller SD card would be sufficient for Peercoin, but I want to use it also for other coins later.

That is your undervoltage warning. Your power supply isn’t giving the Pi enough power. Stop using it immediately to prevent any damage. What power supply are you using? I had the same problem on mine and I fixed it using this micro USB cable and power brick. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L18S0E/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_SFKsvb1MBJTNX and http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FCM7YIW/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_xGKsvb00SHJKF

[quote=“Ötzi, post:210, topic:2485”]Hi all!

I need help. I have bought a brand new Raspberry Pi 2 (the one with 1 GB memory) to run Peerbox, but it’s not working.
Now I am not sure if I have done something wrong or if the Raspi was already broken on delivery.

I have copied the Peerbox-image on a microSD card (with 32 GB) as described in peerchemist’s guide, then connected my Raspi to the router. But, the LAN-LEDs on both the router and on the Raspi are off, so there the line seems to be dead. When I log into the router, the Raspi is not shown in the connections.

When I connect the Raspi to a monitor, I only get a coloured screen:

If I could at least find out if the Raspberry Pi 2 is broken or not. I know that a Raspberry Pi 1 and a smaller SD card would be sufficient for Peercoin, but I want to use it also for other coins later.[/quote]

Hi,

Peerbox is not made to work with Raspberry Pi 2.

I have not got a chance to test it with Raspberry Pi 2 and can not comment on whether it will work or not.

Hi peerchemist & fishb0ne,

thanks for your help! I have got many options and things to try now. It will take a while, because I have got a high workload.
Once I got it up and running, I will be back and posting here how I got the problems solved.

Fishb0ne, I used this charger and cable:
https://www.alternate.de/Netzteil-für-Raspberry-Pi-B±Pi-2-2A/html/product/1199457?tk=7&lk=8508