An Interactive GUI Primecoin Client

I saw this post today on Reddit, and I thought that it was a fantastic idea:
http://www.reddit.com/r/primecoin/comments/1ivpof/crazy_thought_what_if_there_was_a_graphical_miner/

Here is the comment that I left on the post:

I had to upvote this post because this is exactly the type of out-of-the-box thinking that we need to differentiate PrimeCoin from all of the other crypto-coins out there.

I ran Seti@Home for several years, and one of the main things that attracted me to it was the fantastic graphical client that showed a visual representation of the client’s work. I would imagine that millions of other people downloaded the client for the exact same reason.

Will there be a performance hit? Definitely. But I think that it would ultimately be worth it because a lot of people would become interested in PrimeCoin that would not have otherwise. I would never have downloaded Seti@Home initially if it had not been for the graphical client. I encourage you and others to keep thinking along these same lines: things that will make PrimeCoin attractive to laypeople, and that will differentiate it from the other crypto-coins. The hard core geeks can always run the command-line or non-graphical version if they want maximum performance, just like they did in the Seti@Home project.

Please keep the great ideas coming!

I personally think that implementing this idea could do more to encourage Primecoin adoption than almost anything else that I can think of.

I agree, this will be super cool!

I hope someone can do it, possibly integrate it with the official client

I just added this comment to the Reddit/r/primecoin thread on this idea:

I sent an email to Eric J. Korpela and Andrew Siemion of the Seti@Home project explaining your idea to them. I also included a link to this thread. Perhaps they might know developers who could help to bring this idea to life. As I thought about it more, perhaps a Primecoin pool mining project could be added to Boinc, and people who donate their cpu cycles to Boinc projects could earn a small amount of XPM for the donated computer time.

[quote=“Philogus, post:3, topic:276”]I just added this comment to the Reddit/r/primecoin thread on this idea:

I sent an email to Eric J. Korpela and Andrew Siemion of the Seti@Home project explaining your idea to them. I also included a link to this thread. Perhaps they might know developers who could help to bring this idea to life. As I thought about it more, perhaps a Primecoin pool mining project could be added to Boinc, and people who donate their cpu cycles to Boinc projects could earn a small amount of XPM for the donated computer time.
[/quote]

Sooooo much awesomeness :slight_smile: yeah I used to BIONIC CPU cycle SETI b4 cryptocoins and do so every now and again, but with primecoin that has stolen my CPU cycles :stuck_out_tongue: but getting Eric J. Korpela and Andrew Siemion on board with Primecoin would be awesome and really boost the project.

Keep up the excellent work :slight_smile:

FuzzyBear

Thank you FuzzyBear! I just posted a new thread on Reddit to bring more attention to this: http://www.reddit.com/r/primecoin/comments/1ixzyt/add_primecoin_pool_mining_to_the_boinc_project/