Advice on Upgrading

So, I installed and ran a peerbox (at least I think so) for many months, disconnected, moved, lost box, found box and now am very confused about what to do next. I was originally planning to run a Master Node… so I have a lot of PPC invested in my wallet. What I can share…

• Problem System*
    Raspberry Pi B+
    Peerunity Wallet v.0.1.2-RC2-6-gf21e918
    peercoin-raspi-0.4.0.zip (on box), figuring I used this to install (so perhaps I am just running a wallet & not a Peerbox?)

As others have noted in Peerunity forum, my wallet is spinning away stuck on “checkpoint is too old”. To top that - there are new changes/versions of Peercoin-qt, peerunity, peerbox, and such. Various suggestions on installing/uninstalling programs, databases, blockchain… but, not being very wise or smart regarding all this, I am very lost, and could really use some help regarding what next steps I need to do.

I do have two new RaspberryPi 2 systems, on which, I want to use with the new Peerbox system. So, if I have a good wallet.dat, perhaps I can import it to one of the new systems?

A Simple Man of the PeerCommunity

yes if you install rasbian on your rpi, and than install peerbox, you can put your wallet.dat on it and you should be fine
(make sure you have your wallet backed up somewhere secure)

yeah
flash a new jesse image on a sd card and
just follow the instructions at https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4413.0

wait for a full sync
then: ppcoind stop
then go to: cd home/pi/.ppcoin
and swap the wallet.dat with your own
and restart with ppcoind --daemon

actually with peerbox it is run with this command

sudo systemctl start ppcoind@pi.service

replace start with status to see what it is doing and stop to stop it,
(this is for running the daemon, if you want the wallet use ppcoind-qt, or there is the one with -tor)
https://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=4413.0

First of all - Thank you very much for the fast responses! My stress has been greatly reduced.
For the new systems - Is it the Full Jessie or the Jessie-Lite which is better to use?

Use whichever you want to, Peerbox provides both GUI and console based clients.
If you want graphical wallet install fulll Jessie and use:

sudo systemctl start peercoin-qt@pi

and if you are fine with console jessie-lite is ok:

sudo systemctl start ppcoind@pi

Thanks! Things seem to be going along smoothly, after I adjusted the partition, and I´m currently downloading the blockchain,

I did notice that there are 12-15 ¨active connections to the PPCoin network¨. Did the limit of 8 (without port forwarding) get increased? I have not yet set port forwarding, so this is a puzzlement to me.

So to be a Full Node what are the requirements?

• Is there a need to do port forwarding to help the network ?
  • Is there still a peercoin amount associated/needed with a Full Node?

[quote=“SamH, post:7, topic:3798”]Thanks! Things seem to be going along smoothly, after I adjusted the partition, and I´m currently downloading the blockchain,

I did notice that there are 12-15 ¨active connections to the PPCoin network¨. Did the limit of 8 (without port forwarding) get increased? I have not yet set port forwarding, so this is a puzzlement to me.

• Is there still a peercoin amount associated/needed with a Full Node?[/quote]

Peerbox will auto-negotiate with your router on port-forwarding - so this is automated. No, you do not even have to have Peercoins in your wallet to be a full node.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:8, topic:3798”][quote=“SamH, post:7, topic:3798”]Thanks! Things seem to be going along smoothly, after I adjusted the partition, and I´m currently downloading the blockchain,

• Is there still a peercoin amount associated/needed with a Full Node?[/quote]

Peerbox will auto-negotiate with your router on port-forwarding - so this is automated. No, you do not even have to have Peercoins in your wallet to be a full node.[/quote]

This is Great News!
You & the Community have done an incredible job. It´s so great to know there are fantastic people here to help make Peercoin understandable and easy to use. I am so glad to be a part of this endeavour!

:slight_smile: I have successfully loaded the wallet with the amount and last transactions being correct.

:frowning: However, I have a message a the bottom of the wallet - Info: Minting suspended due to locked wallet - which is true, I did have a it encrypted/locked, but under ¨Settings¨ the ¨Encrypt Wallet¨ is grey. So, I don´t know how to unlock it.

It does give me the option to change the passphrase - so I am looking for my documentation now, but is this necessary?

goto debug window if you are using the GUI:

type: ppcoind walletpassphrase MyWalletUnlockPassword 9999999 true

where MyWalletUnlockPassword is your password

[quote=“SamH, post:10, topic:3798”]:slight_smile: I have successfully loaded the wallet with the amount and last transactions being correct.

:frowning: However, I have a message a the bottom of the wallet - Info: Minting suspended due to locked wallet - which is true, I did have a it encrypted, but under ¨Settings¨ the ¨Encrypt Wallet¨ is grey. So, I don´t know how to unlock it. It does give me the option to change the passphrase - so I am looking for my documentation now, but is this necessary?[/quote]

I guess you are used to Peerunity. However as Peerunity is not actively maintained Peerbox uses Peercoin-qt reference client from sunny king.
Please proceed as @intergalactic has showed above.

Make sure you have enabled peercoin-qt autostart with sudo systemctl enable peercoin-qt@pi.

I guess you are used to Peerunity. However as Peerunity is not actively maintained Peerbox uses Peercoin-qt reference client from sunny king. Please proceed as [member=32469]intergalactic[/member] has showed above.

Make sure you have enabled peercoin-qt autostart with
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl enable peercoin-qt@pi

I have done as @intergalatic explained, and the wallet is encrypted, and currently unlocked for minting. - Thank you

I have also added the auto-start function with enable peercoin-qt@pi.service

So, it appears, having done a restart, I will have to re-enter the debug window and follow the instructions, whenever I want to unlock my wallet?

Just making sure I know how to operate this…

[quote=“SamH, post:13, topic:3798”]

I guess you are used to Peerunity. However as Peerunity is not actively maintained Peerbox uses Peercoin-qt reference client from sunny king.
Please proceed as [member=32469]intergalactic[/member] has showed above.

Make sure you have enabled peercoin-qt autostart with
Code: [Select]
sudo systemctl enable peercoin-qt@pi

I have done as @intergalatic explained, and the wallet is encrypted, and currently unlocked for minting. - Thank you

I have also added the auto-start function with enable peercoin-qt@pi.service

So, it appears, having done a restart, I will have to re-enter the debug window and follow the instructions, whenever I want to unlock my wallet?

Just making sure I know how to operate this…[/quote]

Yes, you will have to re-enter the password as you have before.

P.S.
Peerbox will soon get a set of tools which will make it far easier to use, make sure to follow updates here on forum or via twitter @peerchemist.

Peerbox will soon get a set of tools which will make it far easier to use, make sure to follow updates here on forum or via twitter [member=30983]peerchemist[/member].

I am going to make a sincere effort to read, question and learn as much as I can! Hopefully this old dog can still learn a few new tricks!