Adopt a node

Saw this on coindesk http://www.coindesk.com/adopt-node-project-aims-bolster-bitcoin-network-security/

Essentially it makes it very easy to support paid full nodes. Maybe it can be used for Peercoin. The devs can take time and hash out their safe solution to incentivise minting nodes. The non-technical community members can help with creating full node.

Here is a rough estimate of how much is needed to double the number of nodes for Peercoin network: according to the fullnode site, they need $10 a month to run a full node for a month. Assume Peercoin needs that much, too. Then it’s about 85PPC a year at current exchange rate. To double the number of full nodes on Peercoin network we need about 300 more nodes. That is 25.5 k Peercoins a year, about 12% of POS blocks generated by all Peercoins a year.

So in short ~1/10 of Peercoin POS reward is enough to double the number of full nodes deployed on commercial VPS even with your own domain name).

Since the Peercoin blockchain is much smaller than Bitcoin’s, maybe it will cost much less to run a full node on VPS.

I think the guys at Peerbox are trying a similar thing but by incentivising people to get their own Peerbox. There is also the Rpi image River333 and NME are running.

Buying 300 VPS instances sounds like a central approach. Having one provider supplying them also encourages centralisation. Only when you have tens of providers providing such a service across the world it might work, but I wouldn’t trust them half of the network nodes, maybe 25%.

I do recognise the issue of people not wanting to look after something but it is either that or having a bank/third party doing it. I think Bitcoin and NXT are going down that way. There is a fundamental choice for us to be made here, I think.

As I have said earlier on some thread, it’s better for our network to have 5 nodes on areas size of Brazil/Texas than 50 nodes in one server warehouse (VPS host).

[quote=“peerchemist, post:3, topic:2571”]As I have said earlier on some thread, it’s better for our network to have 5 nodes on areas size of Brazil/Texas than 50 nodes in one server warehouse (VPS host).[/quote]+1

Adopt a node is very inefficient way of delivering trusted content, I’d prefer CDN. Looks like desperate fight w/ systemic and usage errors.
Still, if you have running VPS w/ other services- adding peercoind shouldn’t kill it.

You guys are arguing on the extremes.
Not all people (like 90%) at technically competent enough to setup a Peerbox. Most of them only knows where the powr switches are on their modem and computer.
Not everyone has their node on all the time. I turn off my computer when I sleep.
Not everyone wants to run a FULL NODE.
No one says the full nodes have to be on one data center.

1 Like

$10/mo is high, taking one machine from each provider-location from http://lowendstock.com/ would be quite fun.

[quote=“mhps, post:5, topic:2571”]You guys are arguing on the extremes.
Not all people (like 90%) at technically competent enough to setup a Peerbox. Most of them only knows where the powr switches are on their modem and computer.[/quote]

that why there is Peerbox project, to get those people to run nodes.

And that is far better solution than adopting 100 nodes in one server warehouse.

[quote=“peerchemist, post:7, topic:2571”][quote=“mhps, post:5, topic:2571”]You guys are arguing on the extremes.
Not all people (like 90%) at technically competent enough to setup a Peerbox. Most of them only knows where the powr switches are on their modem and computer.[/quote]

that why there is Peerbox project, to get those people to run nodes.

And that is far better solution than adopting 100 nodes in one server warehouse.[/quote]

Peerbox is nice and I want one, too. But ssh? login to routers? Finding out IP? Anything more than plug-n-play and filling-GUI-forms is too much for normal users. Many of them have thousands of Peercoins but don’t even have a local wallet.

1 Like

@mhps, yes, user friendliness is an issue. Ideally you want a plug-and-play Peerbox. I think there was talk of an USB version in the future. That might work for people with pc’s and laptops.

Plug-and-play with a (wifi-)router is still a huge challenge (IP, passphrase).

So, that’s why I said that I would comfortable with your idea, but just not in the numbers you mention. Maybe you can make a Peer4commit project out of it?

i thought now days most people will not turn off their home PCs.
now days PCs are very quiet, energy efficient and they are used as
servers actually ( torrent server,email-bitmessage server, ftp/html server)
and recently as PoS server :smiley:
so think how painful it would be to turn off and on such machine every day :slight_smile:
personally i have 2 servers home operating 24/7. minting alone pays the electricity bills :wink: in the future i would have more rigs eventually with storj and maidsafe
and other projects on their way

Nah. See report:

What’s interesting is that during a recent 24-hour period, the number of reachable nodes went down from 8,200 to 7,600 and back to 8,200 again. This suggests that a portion of users running nodes are turning off their machines at night, meaning that this contingent of nodes are being run on desktops or laptops.

Note that different parts of the world sleep at different times so considering the cancelation effect, I think an even higher portion of people turn off computers at night.

btw I don’t turn my PC off. I configured it so that when I press the power buton it goes to seelp in a few seconds.

Also, doesn’t [ur=Reddit - Dive into anything]running a full node takes up all your bandwidth[/url]?

Cybnate – I will have to see how fullnode works with BTC. $10/mo seems too much although I use it to calculate.