A proposal for iphone/ipad app

Peercoin needs a killer app in app store for millions of customers, below features are attractive:

1. native wallet. PPC block chain size is of only several hundreds MB while BTC almost 30GB, Doge with 5.6GB and LTC 3.74GB.
    Don’t trust others with your money! Even for coindesk and block chain co. Make full use of PPC’s small blockchain advantage, let other competing coins even BTC feel hopeless in this scenario! If we don’t show our merit, people will not notice it!

2. POS mining built in. iOS devices’ chipsets are more powerful than a Raspberry Pi. Turn millions of iPhone into PPC nodes. This is another main advantage over POW coins, don’t waste it! Let people sniff at energy consuming mining rig of BTC/LTC/Doge.

Of course the Network traffic and battery life should be considered, at least, some people usually connect their iPhones with computers in office. And app users may configure that minting only on wifi and power connected.

1. Touch ID integrated. Apple will open touch ID API on coming iOS 8.0, and they are becoming more friendly with crypto currencies. This is a amazing chance for a new type of wallet: fingerprint wallet! Users will input and output their wallet.dat(encrypted one is better) via iTunes and app can only do transaction after fingerprint authentication on iOS devices. Apple iCloud is also a decent backup service.

2. Open transaction compatible.

http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php?title=About

Open transaction API is open source and only with this kind of voting pool, could PPC’s daily micro transaction be feasible.
Peercoin is not only backbone but also decent exchange coin!

Other features such as block chain explore, price reminder, message, QR codes…

IMO, this killer app will improve PPC, believe it or not. Don’t forget Xcode supports C/C++.

Let’s head-on attack BTC!

That would be really awesome, imagine PPC as the first coin with a full blockchain on your device and TouchID integration!

[quote=“sabreiib, post:1, topic:2714”]Peercoin needs a killer app in app store for millions of customers, below features are attractive:

1. native wallet. PPC block chain size is of only several hundreds MB while BTC almost 30GB, Doge with 5.6GB and LTC 3.74GB.
    Don’t trust others with your money! Even for coindesk and block chain co. Make full use of PPC’s small blockchain advantage, let other competing coins even BTC feel hopeless in this scenario! If we don’t show our merit, people will not notice it!

2. POS mining built in. iOS devices’ chipsets are more powerful than a Raspberry Pi. Turn millions of iPhone into PPC nodes. This is another main advantage over POW coins, don’t waste it! Let people sniff at energy consuming mining rig of BTC/LTC/Doge.

Of course the Network traffic and battery life should be considered, at least, some people usually connect their iPhones with computers in office. And app users may configure that minting only on wifi and power connected.

1. Touch ID integrated. Apple will open touch ID API on coming iOS 8.0, and they are becoming more friendly with crypto currencies. This is a amazing chance for a new type of wallet: fingerprint wallet! Users will input and output their wallet.dat(encrypted one is better) via iTunes and app can only do transaction after fingerprint authentication on iOS devices. Apple iCloud is also a decent backup service.

2. Open transaction compatible.

http://opentransactions.org/wiki/index.php?title=About

Open transaction API is open source and only with this kind of voting pool, could PPC’s daily micro transaction be feasible.
Peercoin is not only backbone but also decent exchange coin!

Other features such as block chain explore, price reminder, message, QR codes…

IMO, this killer app will improve PPC, believe it or not. Don’t forget Xcode supports C/C++.

Let’s head-on attack BTC![/quote]

MHO:

1. definitely

2. Even RasPi is overkill for ppc’s software.

iOS devices are amongst most insecure devices connected to internet on the planet, if we are to turn “millions of iPhones into PPC nodes” we literally give up network security to Apple. iOS is spyware full of backdoors. Apple does not even try to hide it.

3. I don’t know anything about this.

4. OT does not support PPC yet

Since I’m that paranoid guy here, I just wanted to say my opinion on apple and security, so if something bad happens - you saw it first here.

PPC price is going down, maybe we are lost in geek forests.

1)peerbox is good, but that’s typical geek behavior: download source code and compile it. How could you hope ordinary people do this? Are we going to stay in a small Linux geek circle for ever?

1. peeshares. That’s just showing muscle. Practically, how many people dare to buy crypto shares without government supervise? I’ve bought scharmbeck shares(for WDC at cryptostocks), the scammer only pay little divident and price plumb to 1%. Even cryptocurrencies have not been widely accepted yet by people, shares? I’m doubt about it!

I strongly suggest we go mobile strategy. Today is 2014 not 1994, even Intel and Microsoft are desperately trying to succeed in mobile markets otherwise they will be just next kodak and Nokia! Get out of Linux geek circle and hug marketing/financial. Linux has been a tragedy IN PC MARKET where most users are common people like your grandma. However, android, a easy to use version blooming. Our future depends on vast computer illiterate not small circle of computer geeks!

Cryptocurrencies are running on trust less network. Don’t be fraid of apple, does apple’s Trojan exist? A virtual stochastic keyboard is ok when imputing pass phrase. Anyway, you can hardly find a virus on iOS devices(not jail breaked.) Or we can try a cydia version where you get root authority after JB? Full control makes you Linux guys feel better? There are plenty of Debian app on JB devices.

Another strategy is go open transaction! Don’t just wait for their support, we actively contact them, even send our developers to work on PPC supporting issue, OT is open source anyway. They(monetas) are also in infancy stage, go and tell them PPC is the best partner to OT while BTC miners are hungry on blockchain fee . let’s marry each other, side by side, share our customers.

I guess some open source programmer don’t like apple, but things are changing after California legal. Apple’s attitude to cryptos is getting better and better.

+1 “mobile strategy”. As OP points out, the unique feature of tiny blockchain is perfect for mobile device while the rest of players are hopeless in this aspect.

+1

PPC really needs mobile wallet, better if PoS on mobiles.

I really like this and I imagine Pillow will as well. We need to be more upfront with the OT guys and let them know that OT and PPC go together like peanut butter and jelly! :pbjt:

Well said sabreiib. I wonder what is the biggest technical hurdle to port peerunity to ipad/iphone.

Mhps, I guess apple is afraid of cryptos. They are developing mobile payment platform with Touch ID with visa/master and eBay. Now perhaps we should worried about our app banned by apple. But who knows the future? Apple likes complete control and if one day they find they can get rid of visa/master by cryptos…

http://www.electronista.com/articles/14/07/23/may.build.on.ibeacons.passbook.touch.id.and.partners.to.create.truly.seamless.secure.system/

I really like this and I imagine Pillow will as well. We need to be more upfront with the OT guys and let them know that OT and PPC go together like peanut butter and jelly! :pbjt:[/quote]

The feeling I get (and its just a feeling) is that Peercoin community is much more positive towards OT then Bitcoin (yes perhaps it could be the hungry for fee thing :)). OT is about enabling transactions in as many assets as possible. I feel that we would benefit from telling OT how much we like what they are doing and so forth and so on and it will be up to us to prove this. Yes, I think it would be worth while if OT and Peercoin could collaborate.

Their software is not yet ready for porting yet, but I’ve been told that they will contact me to let me know when it is.

I’ve been in contact with the guys over there, but don’t put to much faith in my effort. I’m on parental leave and as soon as my day job starts, I won’t be able to spend much more time on this.

Some communication details for OT:
RC: #opentransactions at irc.freenode.net
Mailing list: ot-dev@opentransactions.org

Since Peercoin is a “backbone currency” I think peercoins should be traded at as many places as possible. OT is only one. I think the Open Bazaar could be important (https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar), Mycelium wallet integration (not porting) and exchanges that deal with options/futures trading (financial institutions needs this to be able to work with peercoins).

I really like this and I imagine Pillow will as well. We need to be more upfront with the OT guys and let them know that OT and PPC go together like peanut butter and jelly! :pbjt:[/quote]

The feeling I get (and its just a feeling) is that Peercoin community is much more positive towards OT then Bitcoin (yes perhaps it could be the hungry for fee thing :)). OT is about enabling transactions in as many assets as possible. I feel that we would benefit from telling OT how much we like what they are doing and so forth and so on and it will be up to us to prove this. Yes, I think it would be worth while if OT and Peercoin could collaborate.

Their software is not yet ready for porting yet, but I’ve been told that they will contact me to let me know when it is.

I’ve been in contact with the guys over there, but don’t put to much faith in my effort. I’m on parental leave and as soon as my day job starts, I won’t be able to spend much more time on this.

Some communication details for OT:
RC: #opentransactions at irc.freenode.net
Mailing list: ot-dev@opentransactions.org

Since Peercoin is a “backbone currency” I think peercoins should be traded at as many places as possible. OT is only one. I think the Open Bazaar could be important (https://github.com/OpenBazaar/OpenBazaar), Mycelium wallet integration (not porting) and exchanges that deal with options/futures trading (financial institutions needs this to be able to work with peercoins).[/quote]

pillow,I’ll try their OT iPhone app late this year. Is PPC core development team interested in OT?

This is something that could really set Peercoin apart

Also positions peercoin for the long term as everything has been moving towards mobile

The only core dev team members right now are Sunny and Sigmike. Everyone else that worked on Peershares and Peerunity are currently busy working on NuBits. So we’re a little strapped with development help at the moment. When we asked Sunny about OT in an interview a couple months ago, he didn’t seem to know that much about it. I’m not sure if he’s done any research since then or not.