Example Proposal for Marketing Director:50,000 peercoin needed (6 month term)

Bitcoin is currently at around $300 USD

Peercoin is a mere 0.55 (cents) today.

Massive difference. This post is to give an example to the community of what we need. I’m posting this out there, and I fully expect some sneers, laughs, and insults at the proposal, but I’m going to do it anyway.

We can’t pretend there isn’t a problem with Peercoin’s market price given who Peercoin is, and Sunny King’s efforts to date.

With that being said, this is an example proposal for the Marketing Director job position.

I’m throwing my hat in the ring as Marketing Director for Peercoin, for the sum of 50,000 peercoin. Immediately people may scoff at that amount, but consider there is over 12,190,869 peercoin in existence as of this post. I’m asking for 0.04% (not even a 1/2 percent) of existing peercoin as a salary for the next six months.

This has a retail value (at 55 cents) of only $27,500 USD for 6 months worth of work. Put that into perspective, most people in this job description will make well over $100K/year

So now that the initial shock of 50,000 PPC and 0.04% of peercoin to date ($27,500 USD) is on the table, this is what I propose:

(again, this is an example proposal for marketing director, whether it is ppcman, or a ripe candidate that the community chooses for the job)

1. The community elect a suitable marketing director for the sum of 50,000 PPC, mostly donated by funds from whale holders in excess of 100,000 PPC each, and donations by smaller peercoin holders

2. The marketing director gets to propose ideas to the community, but gets final authority on which way to market Peercoin to the benefit of all PPC holders

3. The marketing director must give a status report each Saturday of the previous 7 days worth of events, progress, and efforts

4. The marketing director only takes 35,000 PPC for himself/herself and the remaining 15,000 PC is an “expense account” that is funds used towards further promotion, education, and development of PPC

5. The marketing director @ 35,000 PPC (without the expense account) is compensated only $19,250 for 6 months of work, which is only $3208/month. A fair wage under the cirumstances. (remember, the other 15,000 is reserves as expense account funds)

FAQ / QUESTIONS

1. Why do we need a marketing director?

A: A Marketing director is not a dictator. Instead, it is a single person charged with the duty of spending 24/7 marketing and promoting peercoin to the masses. Other competiting alt coins are doing much better than Peercoin and it is not due to the technology involved, but simply by the marketing effort.

2. Does it really have to be that expensive? 35,000 Peercoin, for the marketing director? Really?

A: If you really want someone devoted every morning and every night, YES. The community will need to come together and pay for that employee who is looking out for the best interests of Peercoin.

3. Explain more about the extra 15,000 Peercoin as an “expense account” what kind of expenses are we talking about?

A: To give an example, if the marketing director decided that adding some of those peercoins into the skyhook ATM project was important, he/she may decide to take some of those 15,000 expense account peercoins and fund that project. That kind of idea.

4. If the community doesn’t come together and fund a marketing director, or organize ourselves in a similar fashion, what is the result?

Peercoin will be one of those great technologies that jump started a lot of alt-coins but went no where itself because of lack of interest, education, and promotion. Don’t let this happen.

5. As marketing director, does this mean you’ll be attending events in person, sign your name to every press release, be the face behind peercoin, and be on TV?

A: No. None of those will be the responsibility of the marketing director. Instead, it will be the marketing director’s job to find those people willing to sign their name to press reelases, or be a face behind peercoin, or do a TV interview.

To retierate, this is an “Example proposal” for a marketing director which Peercoin needs. This is what it might look like…

But this is what we’re lacking, and need someone to step up to the plate with a similar or more competitive proposal. If no one is willing to do it, then I’ll volunteer. But it would have to be for the 50,000 PPC sum for 6 months of a committment.

If you have ideas or suggestions that are constructive, please post them as a reply to this post.

[size=18pt][/size]

interesting. just for reference, i am working 8 hour/day 5 days/week as software engeneer and i get around 15000$/year. not living in USA.
your proposal can be a peer4commit project. but it surely needs to be more organized.
i suggest you take a look at STORJ community that has 2 directors that do a great job, their salary is payed by community funds
every week, i think that model is working great.

This is a delicate, tricky, and difficult proposition. Much of what you are proposing for the role of a marketing director was implemented at Bitshares this past spring, albeit with significantly higher compensation. It did not end well:

https://bitsharestalk.org/index.php?topic=12351

I’d recommend carefully studying how that process evolved and how it eventually alienated the community. There are many threads on their forum as well as on their sub-reddit. I’m not saying it will happen the same way here, but it’s well worth learning from their experience. I’d also take a look at Ethereum, Ripple and even Doge for insight.

These are the responses I was hoping for…

It is absolutely a difficult subject.

Tomjoad is the marketing guy at NuBits. I’m not sure if he’s being paid by Jordan or not, but you can look at his work too. Here is the NuBits marketing roadmap…

Something needs to be done though. We were just looking at this article about PoS that completely ignores us…

http://cointelegraph.com/news/113157/proof-of-work-proof-of-stake-and-the-consensus-debate#comment-1751795351

It’s like we don’t exist. I recently read a thread at BitcoinTalk about PoS and everyone immediately started talking about forging, rather than minting.

There’s one typo in the total amount of ever created Peercoins. It’s (with block 149475) 21,950,766 (at least the first two digits are in the wring order).
50,000 is ~0.0022 of that which equals ~0.22% (still less than 1/2 percent (in fact ~2/9%, which is less than 1/4%), but something different…).
But I don’t want to be nitpicking, because I want to focus on what is important: I think this is a great idea!

[quote=“ppcman, post:1, topic:3178”][…]

1. The community elect a suitable marketing director for the sum of 50,000 PPC, mostly donated by funds from whale holders in excess of 100,000 PPC each, and donations by smaller peercoin holders

2. The marketing director gets to propose ideas to the community, but gets final authority on which way to market Peercoin to the benefit of all PPC holders
    […][/quote]

I don’t want to go into detail too much.
From a high level view this is what I read from the proposal and from how it may be perceived from the community:

[ul][li]the proposal is keen[/li]
[li]it offers for a decent amount of Peercoins a service Peercoin seems to be in need of[/li]
[li]the marketing director is a kind of elected representative[/li]
[li]decisions can be made by the marketing director in areas where the community might take some time to reach consensus (if ever)[/li][/ul]

I think te marketing director is a role that can bring some good to Peercoin.
But it’s dangerous as well.
For a specific time (in this proposal 6 months) there’s a person which will have been granted with a certain power.
Those who fund the position are aware of the fact that this person

"gets to propose ideas to the community, but gets final authority on which way to market Peercoin to the benefit of all PPC holders".
This is a lot of power. Especially if there are 15,000 PPC to fund marketing ideas which can effectively be spent by the marketing director in any way he/she thinks is worthwhile. But as
"the marketing director must give a status report each Saturday of the previous 7 days worth of events, progress, and efforts"
there seems to be a feedback between actions and the chance to continue operation. If there'd be a reasonable way to impeach the marketing director, I'd be all-in! In this case I miss the voting mechanism that has been invented for Nu...

In the end it boils down to:
those who are willing to fund this operation create a position that will likely do some good to Peercoin. And I doubt that there are many risks associated with the power that is granted to this position. The position is restricted to marketing. And I doubt that it can be extended.
The important things are - with or without the marketing director - in the hands of the community.
The most important asset this community has (amongst itself) is the Peercoin block chain.
Marketing can not mess with the block chain!

I think there’s something to win, but little to lose with having this position.
I’d be willing to drop some PPC in a peer4commit project.

And I think that the person who created this proposal would be a good match!

…but that might be subject to a different discussion.
First we need to find out whether or not we want this position!

Good Idea. I would be willing to spend some of my peercoins, although I have only quite few.

But I think we needn’t rush it, because right now there are few people coming into crypto.
The number of new members at bitcointalk.org has been declining continuously since April 2014. And marketing is more likely to convince newbees rather than people who are already die-hart believers of flawed paradigms in cryptocurrency.

So there is enough time to make well-thought decisions now.
During the next Crypto-Moon it would be great to have a stronger Peercoin presence, especially in panel-discussions and interviews.

I could get behind this proposal, but in the past you had long periods of time that you “went dark”. What assurances would the community have that your engagement would be consistent?

+1 for the 0.23% (50000/21950940).

1. Who is going to pay?
  2. What is the guarantee that this person will do the job correctly and work 40h a week like a normal employee?
  3. Why don’t we instead define objectives for this role first?

I think for now what matters is not really the title, nor the money nor even the amount of time… all that need to be defined later. Instead, we need to know first what has to be performed on the marketing side.

Let’s starts by defining objectives, making plans and establishing a list of tasks to be performed. Let the community brainstorm on that by posting marketing ideas and vote for the best ones.

Once and only once we have a list of objectives, we will have a better idea about what is expected to be done. After that, we can start interviewing candidates for a job title and role that matches exactly what we need and what we are looking for. Thus, we will know what we are paying this person for, and in case the job is not done correctly we won’t waste all the money (i.e. we can pay this person every month, and if the job is not done this person can simply be fired by the community).

[quote=“Thireus, post:10, topic:3178”]+1 for the 0.23% (50000/21950940).

1. Who is going to pay?
  2. What is the guarantee that this person will do the job correctly and work 40h a week like a normal employee?
  3. Why don’t we instead define objectives for this role first?

I think for now what matters is not really the title, nor the money nor even the amount of time… all that need to be defined later. Instead, we need to know first what has to be performed on the marketing side.

Let’s starts by defining objectives, making plans and establishing a list of tasks to be performed. Let the community brainstorm on that by posting marketing ideas and vote for the best ones.

Once and only once we have a list of objectives, we will have a better idea about what is expected to be done. After that, we can start interviewing candidates for a job title and role that matches exactly what we need and what we are looking for. Thus, we will know what we are paying this person for, and in case the job is not done correctly we won’t waste all the money (i.e. we can pay this person every month, and if the job is not done this person can simply be fired by the community).[/quote]

This is what I want to know. What is the marketing plan? Who are we marketing to, merchants, newbies, people already familiar with Bitcoin? What exactly about Peercoin are we trying to get across to people and how are we accomplishing this? The answers to all these questions need to be figured out.

Also, I would much rather have somebody within the community take on this role, especially somebody that understands Peercoin in depth. This person would know how to communicate the benefits of Peercoin to people. I know at least ppcman knows Peercoin indepth. We need the answers to the above questions though.

Let me think about this, we spend 0.23% of the peercoin market cap for a marketing director and a 6 months plan to promote peercoin.
We only need a 0.23% increase in peercoin market cap to be profitable on this.
I think if done properly this plan can easily increase PPC value by 10-30%, so this plan could definitely be +++ EV for peercoin stakeholders.

However, when it comes to raise money we have tragedy of the commons in play here.
I’m willing to contribute with up to 1% of my PPC holdings, but i want to see the marketing plan first.

Since PPC aims to be the best store of value in the cryptocurrencies space, and i think it already is, i would mainly target investors with our marketing campaign.
There is a lot of poeple out there who is getting slaughtered on their savings by inflation and property taxes.
There is actually huge demand in the world for something that cannot be confiscated or inflated, something that can be exchanged cheaply, freely and anonimously.
We could sell peercoin to investors like water in the desert i think.

I went dark during the summer because I had to sell almost all of my Peercoin due to RL issues (financial problems).

I’ve since recovered. Since this is a paid position with accountability, it would require me to constantly work at it. Ideally there would be multiple candidates for the job, so the community can pick the favourite among them.

At this stage, it would have be by donation.

It would have to be based on reputation. There are no guarantees even in real world work scenarios unfortunately. I suppose you could escrow the payments on a per month basis.

As long as you generalize the objectives. Part of hiring a marketing director is to not hamper their individual creativity. Marketers need the flexibility to try different things and see “what sticks” so to speak. Some times the least logical idea works the best.

What initiated this, is that until now our marketing hasn’t been successful. I have many reasons to explain it. (As they say, hindsight is 20/20). Without bashing certain people’s efforts, it is difficult to narrate what needs to be done, and what has failed in the past.

With a marketing director, it puts the onus on a single person to start pulling rabbits out of a hat. If he/she can’t do it on their own, they’re able to canvass the community for volunteer assistance.

Example: “Hey so, and so, I’m the marketing director for Peercoin. I read in your previous post that you have access to XYZ. I’m interested in that for Peercoin. Would you be willing to help me accomplish ABC, with XYZ?”

No marketing department for any real corporation could possibly operate that way. To have every one in the same office building, right from the mail room to reach a consensus that way. As I mentioned, entrusting a smaller marketing team, allows spontaneous creativity. It also allows you to not show your cards in public before you make you move.

The worst thing we’d want to do is come up with a public marketing plan, only to be copy/pasted into any other coin’s forums so they could copycat it. Marketing in general is often secretive in the research & development before you launch a campaign for greater effectiveness and the “surprise” effect.

If you were building a bridge, and wanted to get quotations and bids by various contractors before construction began, I’d agree with you.

Marketing and promotion isn’t the same because there is no linear path to success.

forgive me for asking but do you have any actual marketing experience?

Wanted to ask that one too…

+1

I’d like to know this as well. Is there anything that you can point to so we have an idea of your experience level in this area?

I would strongly caution against this approach. There has been a very public (and very embarassing) revelation that the BitShares marketing team was paid hundreds of thousands of dollars to essentially do nothing. Their defense was always “there’s great stuff happening behind the scenes”, “awesome things are coming soon”, “we need to protect our secret strategies”, etc.

All of it was nonsense of course. They never had anything coming for a “surprise”. They took the entire BitShares community for a ride and killed its brand credibility.

While there may be advantages to building certain elements of a campaign in secret (such as a piece of marketing collateral, or a specific brand message), keeping everything in the dark invites skepticism and eliminates accountability. The NuBits marketing plan is fully public so that people can see what our strategy is, and more importantly see where they can contribute.

I share this view. I also think that Peercoin should be about inclusiveness, welcoming, be “open” and so forth and so on.

This is a currency for everyone and efforts are decentralized. I think it would be great if we could leverage openness. For better or for worse, if we bring secrecy into it, we are moving in a different direction not taking advantage of the power of many people to join in and easily get engage.

I had titled this thread as “Example Proposal for Marketing Director” so that we could get the ball rolling on getting some candidates to choose from.

No one has stepped up to the plate but me. After having over 500 posts in this forum, my marketing experience and way of thinking can be easily discovered by reading a bunch of my previous posts.

In my opinion the community needs a marketing director. Everyone has a different opinion of what that should entail.

Without disclosing my personal identity and uploading a resume, there is no way I can prove to you how much marketing experience I have… For accountability, it would make sense that the marketing director would report weekly, and be trusted on a “per month” basis to produce results. It would be a probationary period.

However, I’m realizing now that the community may not be ready quite yet for a marketing director unless it is a transparent office that has a mandate reached by community consensus with all campaigns pre-approved.

If that is the case, then there is no point in having a marketing director if the community wants to pre-approve which direction the marketing director takes. In that case, all we need is a public forum to toss ideas around and reach consensus.

So in that case, I think it’s best that I withdrawal from the running for that position.

I will tell you this… Right now Peercoin’s adoption is in complete shambles of where it should be. I don’t know how long we can sit at 50 cents to a dollar for people to realize it.

In a desperate attempt, I tried to get this marketing director thing off the ground, to have people who have seen my opinions in the forum value my reputation for creative ideas and getting things done.

This was never really about me either. As I mentioned, I gave an example proposal, and was hoping other candidates would step up to the plate and make their own proposal. Since no one did, I become the one to be scrutinized. On the surface, of course it seems like the right thing to do…

Wait a minute, if we’re going to have a marketing director, don’t we get to check his references? Can’t we scrutinize his abilities before we give him the job?

…Sure…

But when times are desperate (and arguably, they are right now)…

It’s equivalent to having your house on fire and when the fire truck pulls up you want to start interviewing the firemen for their qualifications before allowing them to put out the fire.

The point is simply that:

a) Peercoin needs real help marketing wise

b) No one else that I know of has offered a radical solution yet

c) The only one that did, was me, to get a discussion about a marketing director which could really change things significantly.

Notice how many of my forum posts yield a lot of participation by the community? I’d call that marketing experience in itself. Catchy titles, controversial subjects. I get people thinking and talking. I’ve got a reputation for causing action. My forum name is catchy, that was deliberate in the beginning even before I knew much about Peercoin.

There’s plenty of quantifiable things I’ve said and done that prove I know how to garner attention. I think those longer term users that know me via the forums should feel I’d be a worthy candidate for Peercoin’s marketing director, even on a trial basis as a test.

Since I’m the only one who has stepped up to the plate, I think it’s time I step back down, and let the podium available to whomever would like to “prove their worth”.

Should no one else come, and enough time has passed, then perhaps I’ll be asked by the community if I’m still interested.

For now, I suppose, I’ll do what I can on a volunteer basis without any title, or compensation, or authority of any sort. :slight_smile:

With that being said, Happy Holidays, and in the nature of the season, try not to rip me to shreds too much. My heart was in the right place.