Fazon project has hit a wall

My message from Fazon thread in /Development:

[b]I have official hit a wall with this mapping thing.[/b] I can not find decent service to host the map, with all features I need. More on needed features bellow.

Best I could find is mindmup.com, but it is not tailored to needs of this project.
Then I find my self tailoring project to fit mindmup.com instead other way around.
Also, I’m frequently frustrated by bugs and integration with say github or google-drive.
Not their fault I guess, it is just my expectations. Their product is probably superb for someone else with different needs.

Thus I propose implementation of custom mind mapping software, to scratch our itches or giving up/pausing project.

Don’t worry, it’s not something fundamentally wrong with Fazon project, it is just I lack tools to do it right.
Fazon is still in phase 1 where it supposed to map Peercoins ecosystem + some stuff we drastically need.

There is real need for something like this, but it was not recognized by the many in community. Few people understood what it is about,
most notably Sunny King and Pillow.
Fazon is essentially effort to stop depending on two main developers and few guys running sideshows but to create reputable service that can actually employ people in the name of community and get the job done. This is different approach where we do not use complex organizations like “Bitcoin foundation” or whatever but using simple software to connect different members of community to accomplish common goals.
I really do see problem with speed of development of Peercoin ecosystem, and we are lagging behind much much newer coins.
If we are to be serious competition, we must compete.

[center]#################################################[/center]

Exact requirements for Fazon map:

[size=8pt]Essential:[/size]

• To work in internet Browser without special addons (Flash, Java…)
  • Ease of sharing, so one click URL (no login/signup needed)
  • Separation of people who manage the map, and people who only view the map
  • Multiple relations among project (Hard dependency, optional dependency, child, sibling)

[size=8pt]Optional:[/size]

• Integration with Peer4commit
  • Integration with Twitter, Reddit and other social sites
    (Why? So when job is available Internet knows.)
  • Accept JSON as input format, a simple human and machine readable format to ease previewing and editing.
    Also it is standard on internet.

Maybe the name Fazon is a problem and people don’t understand what it is. Maybe we need a more obvious or specific (and less cool sounding) name to get more people involved like what I proposed before, “Peercoin Ecosystem & Infrastructure Development.”

true :smiley:

maybe “Peertree”, along with nice logo and “Peercoin Ecosystem & Infrastructure Development” as subtitle would draw some attention?

Now I just need feedback from community, will we jump on this and design our own mapping software/website?

Peermap?

fork from one of these opensource projects? http://www.mind-mapping.org/web-based-mindmappers/details.html

wisemapping looks okay

This is great! I just registered peermap.net and .org. If for some reason we needed to make a logo for it, the word is also perfect for fitting with the existing Peer logos, since we can put the leaf in the a.

Excellent Sentinel and Robert.

@huntergames

I have not tried that one yet, somehow missed it. I will try it asap.

Honestly, if it’s not too late I’d like to register a vote for Peertree over Peermap. The map concept is just a little too dull, stagnant, rigid, etc… and I don’t think a map is even a good representation of the purpose of Fazon which is striving for strategic growth for “trunks” and “branches.” Plus a tree is dynamic, growing, unified, eco-friendly, and it even has leaves!

Either way, I think a name change is helpful as I was always puzzled and a little put-off by “Fazon.” I believe this project is a crucial step for Peercoin, and I hope I can find ways to support it as it continues to grow!

[quote=“learnmore, post:8, topic:2836”]Honestly, if it’s not too late I’d like to register a vote for Peertree over Peermap. The map concept is just a little too dull, stagnant, rigid, etc… and I don’t think a map is even a good representation of the purpose of Fazon which is striving for strategic growth for “trunks” and “branches.” Plus a tree is dynamic, growing, unified, eco-friendly, and it even has leaves!

Either way, I think a name change is helpful as I was always puzzled and a little put-off by “Fazon.” I believe this project is a crucial step for Peercoin, and I hope I can find ways to support it as it continues to grow![/quote]

I was thinking maybe we could use Peermap for something else like a map showing businesses accepting Peercoin and then Peertree for this, but I just looked and Peertree is completely unavailable. Not even a domain like .info is available. Maybe we could contact the owner to see how much he’d sell it for, but there’s no guarantee it will be cheap or if he’ll even respond.

if it is too tricky to use fazon, i like peertree, if that is not available maybe peercity, peerverse? well i guess those are like peermap, is also not bad

Well, I like Peermap best, for the record. ::slight_smile: This doesn’t solve the problem stated in the OP, though.

yeah this entire conversation does not solve original problem :slight_smile:

Well, at least I have the domain names now in case we need them.

If what thehuntergames posted doesn’t work out, I guess let us know and we’ll try to figure something else out.

quick test on wisemapping.com

[size=12pt]https://app.wisemapping.com/c/maps/227946/public[/size]

Pros:

• Easy, one link share
  • No obvious bugs
  • Easy to invite collaborators (people who can edit the map)
  • Easily embeddable in web site.

Cons:

• Impossible to attach picture (logo) to individual topic
  • Text in notes can not be formatted
  • In preview text is not readable due to improper scaling on screen
  • Limited relations among objects
  • Bad looking

[center]#####################################[/center]

It is improvement on mindmup, but still not fit to task.
This program is open-source but Java (so it might as well be Greek if you ask me :)), so it can be forked and self-hosted.
However this is beyond me.

[center]###########################[/center]

My proposition:

Use this for now (however needs more testing), and after we’re done with website design something that fits our needs.
I’ll propose back-end and code it if I have free time, web design crew can design front-end and we’ll just need someone skilled in javascript frameworks to connect the cables from client to back-end.
As first revisions come to public testing, I’m sure community will propose many other features like: voting, etc etc.
Sigmike can help with integration with Peer4commit, etc…

In mean time finish mapping and I’ll copy everything to JSON manually, for future.

peercoin central dev ks deliberately not fast or rushed as a backbone currency should be