[ANN] Peerchain.co [ANN]

Hey guys,

(it’s been a while :slight_smile: )
I would like to formally announce the launch of https://peerchain.co/ . ;D This is my own version of a Peercoin block explorer that has some nice features.

[ul][li]Address CDA: Reveals how much coin age (measured in coin days) an address has accumulated[/li]
[li]Total CDD: Reveals how much coin age(measured in coin days) an address has destroyed in totality [/li]
[li]USD Conv. : Simply clicking on the green buttons will convert the respective amount of PPC into USD [/li][/ul]

EDIT: I forgot to mention that for CDA & CDD, I have taken the 90day cap imposed by the network into account.

I would also like to note that I do plan on adding more features in the short future like translations, charts and api documentation.
Also, due to my vps memory(ram) limitations, I cannot realize mongodb’s full potential. My current mongodb instance is capped at ~30%. This means that some addresses may take a little extra time to load. Moreover, the site does look a bit messy on mobile and tablets, but that is something I will have to focus on later.

Note: if there’s anything that you’ve spotted that isn’t working or something is behaving strangely on the site, please feel free to contact me here on peercointalk or my email posted on the footer of the site.

Cheers.

WOW! Looks great :slight_smile:

That looks really nice, JetJet13. I’ll give it a spin the next time I need to check something in the block chain. Thanks for contributing to the community!

Looks cool!
Is it possible to show the diffs along the block reward or somewhere?

Very impressive. Coin Days Accumulated and Coin Days Destroyed are great to have.

Very cool. Summary has many infos.

Nice info and nice presentation.
CDA has a maximum if used to search a kernel. It doesn’t if used to calculate reward. Maybe both should be shown. While I am at it, it would be even better to also show how much POS reward the no-maximum CDA can generate if they find a block now (divided by 36500).
Is it possible to break CDA down according to unspent tx output in each address? It’s the utxo’s that are going to find blocks, not addresses.

Nice info and nice presentation.
CDA has a maximum if used to search a kernel. It doesn’t if used to calculate reward. Maybe both should be shown. While I am at it, it would be even better to also show how much POS reward the no-maximum CDA can generate if they find a block now (divided by 36500).
Is it possible to break CDA down according to unspent tx output in each address? It’s the utxo’s that are going to find blocks, not addresses.[/quote]

Thanks mhps for the detailed explanation on the inner workings of the network. The ideas you propose are interesting so I might just incorporate them into the address page at some point in the relative future.

P.S. Thanks for the kind replies everyone. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

This may open a can of worms but according to this you can calculate when an utxo will find a kernel with an accuracy of a second, at current difficulty. With that info one can turn on the minter when time is up, instead of trying to mint all the time – “Punctual Minting” Actually because difficulty jumps around, it won’t be 100% certain that a block will be found. You can calculate for example at what times an utxo can get a block at >90% chance.

Punctual Minting doesn’t lower the security of the network if difficulty doesn’t change becuase only when you find a block you are supporting the network. Since you WILL find the block when it comes, you will do your job. There is no point keeping the minter running if its time is not up. Minting will be more efficient, and generally more secure with less wallet exposure to the internet.

However Punctual Minting will be a problem if difficulty drops suddenly and many minter are still “sleeping”, unless people often check your site and get the new time to mint. Also with such info it would be easier for people to take advantage described in the post in the link above.

[quote=“mhps, post:9, topic:2563”]This may open a can of worms but according to this you can calculate when an utxo will find a kernel with an accuracy of a second, at current difficulty. With that info one can turn on the minter when time is up, instead of trying to mint all the time – “Punctual Minting” Actually because difficulty jumps around, it won’t be 100% certain that a block will be found. You can calculate for example at what times an utxo can get a block at >90% chance.

Punctual Minting doesn’t lower the security of the network if difficulty doesn’t change becuase only when you find a block you are supporting the network. Since you WILL find the block when it comes, you will do your job. There is no point keeping the minter running if its time is not up. Minting will be more efficient, and generally more secure with less wallet exposure to the internet.

However Punctual Minting will be a problem if difficulty drops suddenly and many minter are still “sleeping”, unless people often check your site and get the new time to mint. Also with such info it would be easier for people to take advantage described in the post in the link above.[/quote]
Interesting if this can be made to work. Then we can send calendar invitations (ICS) to wallet owners so they know when their stake is due. And need to reschedule appointments when difficulty changes :wink:

Nxt’s transparent minting is conceptually similar to the process you described, except for Nxt the minter and the timing are chosen by a different mechanism.

I’ve thought of this so-called “Punctual Minting” possibility before and concluded that it is probably inconsequential in the long-run. At best, a wallet could be designed to max the cpu for a few minutes and explore all possible future “mint points” on a given output then simply wait for the right difficulty/clock match and submit a block. The only benefit here would be giving the wallet owner a prediction of possible mint dates at the cost of likely many tens of thousands of unneeded hashes. If one has many outputs, the initial calculations could become very wasteful! The reason I conclude it is inconsequential, is that there is already another form of “Punctual Minting” being employed by large stakeholders through the practice of keeping wallets locked until they have such large coin-age that a coinstake is virtually guaranteed the minute they unlock for minting.

Thus, in my opinion, the ultimate answer to this “issue” is to keep working on a cold-minting solution that removes the entire motivation for holding potential stakes offline.

This would be fine for entertainment purposes (despite the inevitable wastefulness as mentioned above) so long as it remained entirely LOCAL on the wallet owner’s machine. Any implied intentional broadcast that links specific stakes to specific IP addresses (a la Transparent Forging) would be a big mistake in my opinion.

Anyway, sorry for swaying so far off topic. I’m very impressed with http://peerchain.co 's highly informative and clean presentation. Thank you JetJet13 for an awesome job! I would love to see your work incorporated directly into a wallet like Peerunity someday!

@JetJet13, do you have a donation address that we could send PPC to to help support the infrastructure that powers Peerchain.co?

I haven’t given donations much thought, but if you guys really want to donate to the infrastructure of the site here’s a PPC address: PQJ3w4saFjB1PRv3TdmsJue1QsHz8XnymM
Cheers.

Very nice JetJet :slight_smile:

Would you be able to support API query on unspent coins by given address, and another API call to accept signed transaction, which should allow further development of simple avatar wallet with direct support of brain keys.

Any details on API? The wallet app I’m writing could use this instead of the others.

[quote=“JetJet13, post:1, topic:2563”][ul][li]Address CDA: Reveals how much coin age (measured in coin days) an address has accumulated[/li]
[li]Total CDD: Reveals how much coin age(measured in coin days) an address has destroyed in totality [/li]
[li]USD Conv. : Simply clicking on the green buttons will convert the respective amount of PPC into USD [/li][/ul][/quote]

Hi, JetJet
Rather than use abbreviations on the website, which most people will not understand, can you not use some other method of labelling them?

E.g. “Coin Age Days” instead of CDA
“Coin age days destroyed” instead of CDD

Otherwise, a great site, I look forward to using it

[quote=“RobertLloyd, post:17, topic:2563”]E.g. “Coin Age Days” instead of CDA
“Coin age days destroyed” instead of CDD[/quote]

Or even keep the abbreviations, but have an obvious action to rollover which will give a full description in a popup.

Enjoy ;D

https://peerchain.co/transactions/8b61210c1d97ddb45c5ef5e4508079eec905a1cbede59d40db5be1b9ec8eebd8

[quote=“Sunny King, post:15, topic:2563”]Very nice JetJet :slight_smile:

Would you be able to support API query on unspent coins by given address, and another API call to accept signed transaction, which should allow further development of simple avatar wallet with direct support of brain keys.[/quote]

Hey Sunny,

API documentation is high on my priority list for the site. The api’s you propose sound like a real benefit to the community so I will keep them in mind when I get to it. However, at the moment I’m seeing a decent amount of my traffic coming from mobile and tablet and so I’m going to try and fix the layout for the mobile users. Should be done by tomorrow along with a status page.

Note: thanks for all the suggestions guys, I will take them all into account as the site matures. The site was meant to be a resource for the community so keep the suggestions coming and I’ll try my best to make them fit.

P.S. thanks sandakersmann and the rest of you that have donated so far :slight_smile: