Cold storage minting proposal

Yes. The more confirmations you wait, the more you can trust that the transactions that's of interest to you don't end up in a block that gets orphaned.
Right right the number of conf.

So I read through this thread but I don’t think I ever saw the issue of a hacker amassing a large amount of minting addresses from users and suddenly minting them. This would devastate security. Has this been addressed?

[quote=“cryptog1, post:165, topic:2336”]

It mints 7x24, and by pure chance it finds 6 blocks in a row every a few months.

A) Excuse my ignorance. What is the issue with finding 6 blocks in a row compared to say 2 blocks in a row?
It probably has to do with a high probability to be able to alter the blockchain, I sense though like in bitcoin.[/quote]

6 confirmations are needed for the network to consider a transaction complete (try it with a wallet). If you have 6 consecutive pos blocks and these blocks have more combined coin-age other nodes on the network will automatically regard your chain as the main chain and discard other chains. You can do a double spend attack this way.

[quote=“mhps, post:169, topic:2336”][quote=“cryptog1, post:165, topic:2336”]

It mints 7x24, and by pure chance it finds 6 blocks in a row every a few months.

A) Excuse my ignorance. What is the issue with finding 6 blocks in a row compared to say 2 blocks in a row?
It probably has to do with a high probability to be able to alter the blockchain, I sense though like in bitcoin.[/quote]

6 confirmations are needed for the network to consider a transaction complete (try it with a wallet). If you have 6 consecutive pos blocks and these blocks have more combined coin-age other nodes on the network will automatically regard your chain as the main chain and discard other chains. You can do a double spend attack this way.[/quote]

Right.

Any updates of cold locked minting feature?

I’m working on it. Most of my time is taken by Nu but I think cold minting addresses will be implemented before the end of the year. Then it will require some reviewing and testing.

That’s very good news! This will likely boost the minting rate (that is already higher from quarter to quarter) even further.
If you need testers once the internal testing has been successful I’m sure you find some here :wink:

I’m working on it. Most of my time is taken by Nu but I think cold minting addresses will be implemented before the end of the year. Then it will require some reviewing and testing.[/quote]

awesome

I’m working on it. Most of my time is taken by Nu but I think cold minting addresses will be implemented before the end of the year. Then it will require some reviewing and testing.[/quote]

Thank you for your updates. Good luck!

Sigmike, some people are taking your post here as meaning that cold-locked minting will be live and ready for use by the end of the year. From what I understand, this is going to be included in v0.5, so is it correct to assume that if cold-locked minting is ready before the end of the year, that it still might end up being delayed until Sunny is finished with the rest of the v0.5 update?

It won’t be live and ready. It should be ready for testing only, and probably not even on testnet yet, so very few people will be able to test it.

Yes it’s going to be included in v0.5. But no other major changes are planned for 0.5. The only other protocol change may be allowing null data transactions to enable colored coins and open transaction.

So yes, v0.5 will happen after cold minting addresses are implemented. I don’t know how much time finalizing v0.5 will take.

It won’t be live and ready. It should be ready for testing only, and probably not even on testnet yet, so very few people will be able to test it.

Yes it’s going to be included in v0.5. But no other major changes are planned for 0.5. The only other protocol change may be allowing null data transactions to enable colored coins and open transaction.

So yes, v0.5 will happen after cold minting addresses are implemented. I don’t know how much time finalizing v0.5 will take.[/quote]

Just to be sure. You are talking about peerunity wallet or peercoin core?

Peercoin core, but Peerunity will have to follow the protocol changes.

I made a first pull request with the protocol and RPC changes (there’s no GUI changes yet): https://github.com/ppcoin/ppcoin/pull/78

Fantastic! Great work! :slight_smile:

good work mate!
waiting also the gui :slight_smile:

Great job Mike!!! That was a nice present for Xmas :).

I understand what cold minting means, but I am not sure how this affects me as a user of Peerunity as a node. Do I have to update anything?

if cold minting requires coins to be put into an “non-spendable” address, are they locked in that address forever or can you access them anytime?

You can access them at anytime:

Only a wallet having the minting key will be allowed to mint coins sent to this new address. And only a wallet with the spending key will be allowed to send the coins.

Basically you have two private keys. The one that is used to “unlock” your wallet for minting is the one that is used for minting. The other one is dedicated for spending your funds.
I gave a more detailed explanation here: Reddit - Dive into anything

From sigmike, commented here: https://github.com/sigmike/peercoin/commit/8df4a0360f3917e042cc0185dc39ed894c9f4148