Peerunity - a wallet and client supporting both Peercoin and Peershares

That’s a good point. I don’t think that there is any requirement of “-Qt”, it had just been convention. We’ll need to confirm that it won’t break any of the integrations, but otherwise, it makes sense.

I don’t mean to be ‘that guy’ but how is development going? I think I remember Peerunity just needed some testing before release?

As you can see from the GitHub commits (Commits · Peerunity/Peerunity · GitHub), code additions/changes have been made nearly every day recently until May 1, the day we became code complete for the first release.

pennybreaker has since created Linux and Windows builds here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280412883/Peerunity-master-linux.tar.gz
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280412883/Peerunity-master-windows.zip

Ben is working with bitpar to produce a OS X build.

These builds need community testing. SirCoinGame has begun testing them and will be paid with Peer4Commit funds for doing so. Community testers should coordinate with SirCoinGame and will also be paid for testing if they make a pull request including a text file placed in the testing folder that describes what tests were performed.

There is a problem with the Windows installer that pennybreaker has been working to fix in recent days.

How quickly this is ready for general release depends on how much support the community gives in testing and refining it.

Thank you Jordan.

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:138, topic:2203”]pennybreaker has since created Linux and Windows builds here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/280412883/Peerunity-master-windows.zip

There is a problem with the Windows installer that pennybreaker has been working to fix in recent days.[/quote]

Do I get it right that there is/was a problem with Windows installer only so pennybreaker’s build (a zip file packed with ppcoin-qt.exe and ppcoind.exe, without an installer, or a readme to show if the config file should be ppcoin.conf or peerunity.conf) is the official community-test release? It can be tested now or should we wait?

edit: I have just run the version in the zip file, with the config file specified on the command line. In the help->About Peerunity window, the version number is 0.4.0.0-unk . Shouldn’t this version be called 0.1. (issue #29)? Anyway if the zip file is indeed the first community test release, we should move dicussion to the Peerunity forum.

I would like to announce a bounty of 150 PPC for getting the Windows installer to function properly for Peerunity and Peershares. It is likely that both repositories have the same problem, so one solution will work for both. Details about what is needed are here:

If you have questions about this, pennybreaker would be most able to answer them.

Update:
The bounty has been increased to 200 PPC and a 0.1 BTC referall bonus has been added: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2648.msg25177#msg25177

i had some issues with synchronizing on testnet, got a long list with warnings/errors like this:

ERROR: CheckProofOfStake() : INFO: check kernel failed on coinstake 668ea7808691500921edcb7900dedb425d0ac0fbcc91aa6061deec96e2cddf5c, hashProof=6373816886b6ea2e3af362a89ab616c2fb43d3848f30b380b320d94934643993 WARNING: ProcessBlock(): check proof-of-stake failed for block 3bf344686da87006d899891a4f434da7fdcc8e0c4e0a559a1872f3b84bb7aab9

redownloading the blockchain again, i’ll see if that helps (79K blocks to go)

edit: ok everything is fine now

How is the osx version coming along?

The primary problem we are having with Peerunity right now is that the Windows Installer is not working. I posted a 150 PPC bounty 6 days ago for this but no one has contacted me about fixing it. Therefore, I would like to increase the bounty to 200 PPC and 0.1 BTC as a referral fee to whoever makes the person that receives the bounty aware of it. Perhaps the best candidate would be someone who has made the Windows Installer work for another altcoin. The process is quite similar. So, I will suggest the community contact people involved in the development of altcoins to see if they are interested in and able to collect the bounty.

If this doesn’t work within a few days perhaps we will consider using elance.com or a similar service.

Edit: Additional information about what needs to be done can be found here:

I wanted to send out a big thanks to whoever donated 1100 PPC to Peerunity development several days ago through Peer4commit. That buys a lot of development.

Why do we need a Windows installer? I like software that you can just unpack, change some config files, and it works. It’s called green software, no? Isn’t Peercoin green :wink:

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:144, topic:2203”]The primary problem we are having with Peerunity right now is that the Windows Installer is not working. I posted a 150 PPC bounty 6 days ago for this but no one has contacted me about fixing it. Therefore, I would like to increase the bounty to 200 PPC and 0.1 BTC as a referral fee to whoever makes the person that receives the bounty aware of it. Perhaps the best candidate would be someone who has made the Windows Installer work for another altcoin. The process is quite similar. So, I will suggest the community contact people involved in the development of altcoins to see if they are interested in and able to collect the bounty.

If this doesn’t work within a few days perhaps we will consider using elance.com or a similar service.

Edit: Additional information about what needs to be done can be found here:

https://github.com/Peershares/Peershares/issues/121[/quote]
Just posted in the Worldcoin forums, maybe someone is keen…

and just added a link to: http://www.reddit.com/r/Jobs4Crypto/

I’d like to send a big thanks out to glv who made a pull request (https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity/pull/48) to fix our Windows installer problems in Peerunity. The bounty was for fixing the problem in Peerunity and Peershares, though it looks like glv is trying to give cjf2 an opportunity to make the Peershares pull request according to the conversation on the pull request at the link above.

pennybreaker will be verifying the solution and as soon as any concerns are resolved a partial payout of the 200 PPC bounty will be released. If a pull request is made against Peershares, the full 200 PPC will be paid out.

I didn’t have any message from cfj2 to know whether he/she wanted to do it or not, so I just made a pull request for the Peershares gitian descriptors allowing to build the Windows binaries and the installers (32bit and 64bit).

[quote=“Jordan Lee, post:148, topic:2203”]I’d like to send a big thanks out to glv who made a pull request (https://github.com/Peerunity/Peerunity/pull/48) to fix our Windows installer problems in Peerunity. The bounty was for fixing the problem in Peerunity and Peershares, though it looks like glv is trying to give cjf2 an opportunity to make the Peershares pull request according to the conversation on the pull request at the link above.

pennybreaker will be verifying the solution and as soon as any concerns are resolved a partial payout of the 200 PPC bounty will be released. If a pull request is made against Peershares, the full 200 PPC will be paid out.[/quote]

Does this mean we get to see v0.1 released soon :smiley: ?

I didn’t have any message from cfj2 to know whether he/she wanted to do it or not, so I just made a pull request for the Peershares gitian descriptors allowing to build the Windows binaries and the installers (32bit and 64bit).[/quote]
What about the other guy who responded, chrisfranko? Did anyone respond to him? Maybe he is interested.

As cjf2’s email address is chrisjfranko@xxxxx.xxx, I think it’s the same person, such a coincidence being very unlikely…

As cjf2’s email address is chrisjfranko@xxxxx.xxx, I think it’s the same person, such a coincidence being very unlikely…[/quote]
Agree, I asked for it as he came through r/crypto4job. If you got the job and the reward, I will remove the advertisement on r/crypto4job.

pennybreaker is verifying the Windows installer is working and SirCoinGame is verifying a fix of the bug where the stake balance doesn’t reliably update unless you restart. Once we get those two things verified, we will merge them into master and pennybreaker will produce another set of test builds. SirCoinGame has been testing Peerunity in recent days and will be posting about what he has found very soon. It is clear the release is progressing toward being stable.

“Mac OS X binaries coming soon.”

How soon?