Tips for Verified Raspberry Pi Nodes

In an effort to increase the amount of Peercoin nodes, we are discussing launching a campaign in which people can receive tips after they have proven that they are running a Raspberry Pi node. NewMoneyEra has made an extremely generous offer to contribute 1,000 PPC, on the basis of each person receiving a tip of 10 PPC per node.

Before starting this effort, we would need a rock-solid Raspberry Pi official Peercoin 0.4 version that is easy to set up and install. There also needs to be a way to confidently validate that the node is real. One option would be photo-evidence, but if this could be faked then a better option is required.

Please give your thoughts.

A NEW THREAD HAS BEEN SET UP FOR TIPPING: http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2800.0

Great idea. Will definitely create a node on my Pi.

But (beside a rady-to-go image) there should be guide on how to compile from source code and configure. I´m looking for this for quite a while now.

Offtopic: Everyone who is minting should consider having a Pi node in the internet. You could then connect a second Pi or PC without direct internet connection which holds your coins. This should very much increase security.

Yes, a clear step by step guide with pictures will be needed if this is to go smoothly. I can imagine the amount of tech questions being posted about how to set it up.

Can proof be provided in this way? In the same picture, they would be required to write their PeercoinTalk user name and the current date down on a piece of paper. Is that sufficient or no?

Thanks river333. Your tipping on reddit this week garnered a great deal of positive enthusiasm and sentiment. And, led to the idea of creating a substantial tip for new Peercoiners. The idea is we will tip 10 PPC to each new Raspberry Pi node running Peercoin.

I have promised to contribute an initial 1,000 PPC if we can technically make this idea work. And, I can’t imagine anyone who would be better at running it than river333.

Successful deployment of this donation alone would create 100 new Peercoin nodes. Seeings how we have been so successful recently in raising PPC for Peer4Commit and the new video, I hope that other donors will contribute significantly also. 10,000 PPC distributed by this manner would mean 1,000 new nodes!!!

We have the expertise to set up everything we need to do this here on this forum.

I hope you will find this valuable and contribute your ideas, expertise and skill.

Thank You in advance,

NewMoneyEra

I like the idea of at least including their Peercointalk user name

I like the idea of at least including their Peercointalk user name[/quote]
Like the idea. More and effecient nodes. Good marketing!
Agree that we need a fool proof setup and some volunteers to provide support. That would be the hardest part.

Just a few other considerations for the execution which occurred to me when reading this:
How would we know they are the owner of it beside a picture?
How would we know that they have it online consistently?

Maybe providing a serial number might answer the first question and also reduces the risk on fakes.
Proofing to be online is harder. We only have the bitinfocharts IP numbers. And some people are on temporary IP addresses (sometimes only for 24h).

Probably we have to accept that this is not watertight and that there will be people faking successfully.
The gains might be greater than the losses.

I would say, let’s go with it and good to NewMoneyEra to support this.

To avoid being scammed, we need an easy way to validate the new R-Pi node.

On validating the uniqueness of a new node. What are ideas of how this could be done?

Does the Raspberry Pi have a unique serial number?

Surely, the receipt of purchase of an R-Pi would be extremely unique. Yes?
But, many people already own a Pi and might not be able to produce their purchase receipt.

Ideas?

[quote=“Cybnate, post:7, topic:2152”]Like the idea. More and effecient nodes. Good marketing!

How would we know that they have it online consistently?

Maybe providing a serial number might answer the first question and also reduces the risk on fakes.
Proofing to be online is harder.[/quote]

Making it be online consistently is something beyond what we can achieve here. That needs to be more an incentive built into the protocol. It has been discussed elsewhere and I think it is an important consideration, but I just don’t think we can achieve that here.

If people go to the effort of (and expense of buying an R-Pi if they don’t already have one) setting up a Peercoin node and downloading the blockchain, then they will be pretty invested with their time already. That’s good enough for me. After that, why turn it off? The power consumption is miniscule. I suspect most people would leave it turned on if the software is bullet-proof and doesn’t cause any problems.

People then have it running and it might provoke their curiosity. They might learn a bit about Peercoin. Maybe, they will invest more. Maybe, when they see other coins running into problems in the future and Peercoin sails along without problems… well, you get what I mean. :slight_smile:

We need some ideas on how to set up a tip bot, or whatever to distribute the tips on this unique effort.

Also, we need some feedback on what would be the best R-Pi implementation. What would it have on it? What flavor of Linux? A browser: yea or nay? Private Key/Public Address generating software included? What more?

What software would be easy?
What software would be optimal?

(a Peercoin fork of Armory would be great, but I think that is still a ways away)

Could we use peer4commit? Either that or tips could be manually distributed, I don’t think a tip bot is really necessary.

On another note, maybe we can poll how many users are interested in bulk buying. Buying e.g. 50 might give some interesting rebates over just buying one. Maybe someone can run with such a scheme. The shipping can be a bit of a showstopper though.

Just an idea which might need more thoughts

Could we use peer4commit? Either that or tips could be manually distributed, I don’t think a tip bot is really necessary.[/quote]
Yes, it can always be done through peer4commit.com. Happy to support that where required. But maybe we should think of building something better. Maybe the social faucet super3 is working(?) on. No idea what the status is of this though.

[quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:8, topic:2152”]To avoid being scammed, we need an easy way to validate the new R-Pi node.

On validating the uniqueness of a new node. What are ideas of how this could be done?

But, many people already own a Pi and might not be able to produce their purchase receipt.

Ideas?[/quote]
It has only a number available through the software. See this topic on how to obtain that: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/2086/how-do-i-get-the-serial-number

Making a picture of that with e.g. a newspaper of the day (with date) beside it, might be pretty unique as proof.

Has everyone seen this? http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2335.0

It is a guide for v0.3. Tea42 also says at the end that he has plans for v0.4.

The user guide needs to be as simple and straightforward as possible.

[quote=“river333, post:15, topic:2152”]Has everyone seen this? http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=2335.0

It is a guide for v0.3. Tea42 also says at the end that he has plans for v0.4.

The user guide needs to be as simple and straightforward as possible.[/quote]

Thanks river333. I just posted over there with a link to here. I hope they will help us spread Peercoin on Pi. :wink:

Yes I have seen that, but this version is to fat for my taste. Everything what is not needed (eg. Browser, Librarys, etc) should not be included.

We need some kind of lightweight and secure OS. I have poor knowledge with Linux, because of that I cannot be a big help beside grumping :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Cybnate, post:14, topic:2152”][quote=“NewMoneyEra, post:8, topic:2152”]To avoid being scammed, we need an easy way to validate the new R-Pi node.

Ideas?[/quote]
It has only a number available through the software. See this topic on how to obtain that: http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com/questions/2086/how-do-i-get-the-serial-number

Making a picture of that with e.g. a newspaper of the day (with date) beside it, might be pretty unique as proof.[/quote]

Thanks Cybnate for that R-Pi serial number link. Maybe that with a static IP address? And, other?

What would the newspaper buy us? I think it just indicates something happened “not before this date!” right?

[size=10pt]Pi serial number, Static IP address and Peercointalk User Name.[/size] That would be good enough for me. Would it be asking too much?

[quote=“MUTO, post:17, topic:2152”]Yes I have seen that, but this version is to fat for my taste. Everything what is not needed (eg. Browser, Librarys, etc) should not be included.

We need some kind of lightweight and secure OS. I have poor knowledge with Linux, because of that I cannot be a big help beside grumping :P[/quote]

Muto, I think you can be a big help here. I appreciate your opinion.

How about a motto: [size=14pt]“Spreading Peercoin on Pi”[/size]

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

comments?