Wallet has 0 active connections :( Will not update

My LTC, Quark, Bitcoin all sync fine. I have created a .conf file as well and followed the instructions on these forums. I run windows 7 and have my Ppcoin installed on my D: drive.

I have uninstalled, deleted all ppcoin files, and re installed on numerous occasions.
Please help me I’d like to get into PPC

try this:

in your start menu little input box thingy type %APPDATA% and then “Roaming” will pop up. Click that. Then click on ppcoin.

In the ppcoin folder, open ppcoin.conf if one exists, if not make one and add the following to it:

addnode=66.90.146.146
addnode=91.156.102.128
addnode=110.174.124.20
addnode=67.14.164.114
addnode=37.209.40.22
addnode=50.71.216.165
addnode=109.108.236.208
addnode=173.28.37.150
addnode=68.102.86.156
addnode=213.251.187.24
addnode=188.134.122.31
addnode=72.38.179.122
addnode=76.74.177.224

done my ppcoin.conf looks like this also my computer is on a DMZ that has all ports forwarded

ppcoin.conf configuration file. Lines beginning with # are comments.

Network-related settings:

Run on the test network instead of the real peercoin network.

#testnet=0

Connect via a socks4 proxy - default none

#proxy=127.0.0.1:9050

Accepting incoming connections

listen=1

UPnP

#upnp=1

Use as many addnode= settings as you like to connect to specific peers

addnode=66.90.146.146
addnode=91.156.102.128
addnode=110.174.124.20
addnode=67.14.164.114
addnode=37.209.40.22
addnode=50.71.216.165
addnode=109.108.236.208
addnode=173.28.37.150
addnode=68.102.86.156
addnode=213.251.187.24
addnodd=188.134.122.31
addnode=72.38.179.122

… or use as many connect= settings as you like to connect ONLY

to specific peers:

#connect=69.164.218.197
#connect=10.0.0.1:8333

Maximum number of inbound+outbound connections.

maxconnections=64

JSON-RPC options (for controlling a running Bitcoin/bitcoind process)

server=1 tells PPcoin-QT to accept JSON-RPC commands.

server=1

You must set rpcuser and rpcpassword to secure the JSON-RPC api

rpcuser=cow
rpcpassword=moo

How many seconds peercoin will wait for a complete RPC HTTP request.

after the HTTP connection is established.

rpctimeout=30

By default, only RPC connections from localhost are allowed. Specify

as many rpcallowip= settings as you like to allow connections from

other hosts (and you may use * as a wildcard character):

rpcallowip=127.0.0.1
rpcallowip=192.168.1.*
rpcallowip=10.0.0.*

Listen for RPC connections on this TCP port:

rpcport=9902

You can use ppcoind to send commands to ppcoind

running on another host using this option:

#rpcconnect=

Use Secure Sockets Layer (also known as TLS or HTTPS) to communicate with ppcoind

#rpcssl=1

OpenSSL settings used when rpcssl=1

#rpcsslciphers=TLSv1+HIGH:!SSLv2:!aNULL:!eNULL:!AH:!3DES:@STRENGTH
#rpcsslcertificatechainfile=server.cert
#rpcsslprivatekeyfile=server.pem

Pre-generate this many public/private key pairs, so wallet backups will be valid for

both prior transactions and several dozen future transactions.

#keypool=100

#The reserve balance field is the minimum amount of coins you want to have available and NOT put up as stake.
#The reason for this is that if you are generating proof of stake you cannot spend those coins for 520 blocks.
#reservebalance=10000

change rpcpassword to something big complex and completely unhackable and do not post it!

There’s not really any need for all that stuff in there unless you have some specific purpose in mind.

I noticed in your .conf file that uPnP is turned off, try enabling that through your client in the settings (remove the line from ppcoin.conf)

Here’s mine:

server=1 rpcuser=thisisausername rpcpassword=notPostingmyPassword

rgr what does that do btw? Also Even with all this it still wont connect :frowning:

Honestly, I have no clue, I’ve just read in several posts that if you post that info it will get you hacked. It has something to do with how the daemon communicates with the gui.

turning uPnP on and adding more nodes (you just have to catch one online) should help. heres a bigger list of nodes I just discovered.

http://bitinfocharts.com/ppcoin/nodes/

the addnodes makes it check a specific computer running the software to connect to and download the blockchain from, instead of just trying to sniff it out (it works how torrent does this trick also works for other cryptos if you find yourself trying to a sync a client that isn’t finding any peers)

i pulled those addnodes off reddit in a month old post (hoping one would be online) before I discovered the site i just linked with a list of current nodes.

using some nodes off that site should work.

added about 60 new ones from that site… still nada

Are you editing the right ppcoin.conf file? I noticed you wrote you installed the client on D:\ I can see merockstar already suggested that, but checking twice won’t hurt.

Maybe you did also move the default location for the ppcoin.conf file. In a standard Windows installation it would be in %appdata but you can change that.
Easy check is let windows search for ppcoin.conf file on your C and D drive. Maybe there are two versions there.

BTW You don’t need PnP turned on, although it helps to find other peers. But if you define valid peers in your ppcoin.conf anyway, there is no value in doing that.

Finally, sometimes it pays off to wait for a few hours. I’ve seen that working with other coins in the early days even with PnP off.

is uPnP on?

sometimes, it just needs to run a few minutes to find somebody.

sorry i’m not of more help <_< i had to wikipedia to figure out what a DMZ is. it might have something to do with that, in which case you need help from someone more knowledgeable than i am (it wont take long, fuzzybear or unthinging or fishdude or someone will be here soon im sure)

DMZ basically puts you out of all the protections that the firewall on your router has. It opens up ALL your ports. I do some rather high level computer work and am not a novice so this is rather frustrating…

Also yes I turned on uPnP and it did not work either :-/

[quote=“Cybnate, post:8, topic:1807”]Are you editing the right ppcoin.conf file? I noticed you wrote you installed the client on D:\ I can see merockstar already suggested that, but checking twice won’t hurt.

Maybe you did also move the default location for the ppcoin.conf file. In a standard Windows installation it would be in %appdata but you can change that.
Easy check is let windows search for ppcoin.conf file on your C and D drive. Maybe there are two versions there.

BTW You don’t need PnP turned on, although it helps to find other peers. But if you define valid peers in your ppcoin.conf anyway, there is no value in doing that.

Finally, sometimes it pays off to wait for a few hours. I’ve seen that working with other coins in the early days even with PnP off.[/quote]

thats good thinking, I stand corrected on the uPnP thing.

maybe try installing it to C: drive to make sure its reading your preferences from the right place.

[quote=“realypk, post:10, topic:1807”]DMZ basically puts you out of all the protections that the firewall on your router has. It opens up ALL your ports. I do some rather high level computer work and am not a novice so this is rather frustrating…

Also yes I turned on uPnP and it did not work either :-/[/quote]

i had the same problem with quark.

i dont think the peercoin network is to blame. i think its a p2p thing in general.

I just tried installing it on C:

No luck no joy :frowning:

I wouldn’t give up on it yet, you’ll find some peers…

unfortunately, I’m out of things to suggest for this one

You might also want to try to specify the location of the blockchain and ppcoin.conf.

As I had a small C:/drive I had the client installed on c: but the blockchain and configuration in f:\ (another harddisk)

So if you check the properties of your icon (or startmenu entry) you would see something like the first part minus the -datadir part
“C:\Program Files (x86)\PPCoin\ppcoin-qt.exe” -datadir=f:\appdata\roaming\ppcoin

By adding the datadir part you can point the client to a specific location and be sure it’s using the conf. file in that location.
I’m assuming your other wallets are still connected as we speak.

Hope that helps.

And as said in my previous post, sometimes you just have to wait a few hours before it starts seeing peers.

second this. when I was trying to get quark up and running I added nodes, and it still didn’t work. I gave up on it and went and did something else forgetting I had the client running.

I found a couple hours later, with a fully synced blockchain and ten connections.

Cybnate I added the -datadir part and pointed it to where the ppcoin.conf file is located and still nothing.

merock
I have had the wallet up since you posted the suggestion, still nothing. 0 connections. All my other wallets are still connected with multiple peers

The amount of difficulty here has been significant, I’m relatively enthusiastic about PPC but I strongly suggest the community work on a better wallet or improving it’s functionality… this type of thing would drive the average consumer away and keep it from becoming mainstream.

I share your concerns and it shouldn’t be that hard. It should install out of the box (mine did after all and I know many others did)

I’m very keen to find out why it’s not working on your PC. Do you have another PC or laptop (or VM) at home and can you try another fresh install without changing anything?
If after a few hours nothing happens, only add a few nodes in the ppconf.conf (addnodes=xx.xx.xx.xx). Take some of the addresses from e.g. Fuzzybear ( peercointalk site) and some miners.

Or if on a laptop, take your laptop to another location and connect to the internet (e.g. via 3G or wifi) and see if it picks up peers (still might take some time though).
Maybe there is something with your firewall or network which Peercoin client doesn’t like. Would be good to know what that would be though.

Edit: is the peercoin client added into your virusscanner as an application allowed to connect to the network? Some virusscanners have that functionality and you might have to manually add it depending on your settings.

To anyone reading this, if you have had similar experience, please share what you did to fix.

For each of these steps, remember to shut down PPCoin-Qt.exe first, make the prescribed change, and then restart the client. That ensures that any new configuration settings are correctly applied

Does the Windows version of the client include a debug.log file in the PPCoin %appdata% folder? If so, you can check to see if there are any warning or error messages that can point us in the right direction to helping you solve this. Taking a look at my log, I see instances where a node cannot be found, so hopefully you’ll see something clearly indicating what’s going on.

I don’t know much about Windows file permissions, but on my Mac, I’ve run across situations while testing where the .conf file I created wasn’t accessible to the client, which caused all sorts of problems. If there’s a Windows analog for ‘sudo chmod 755 ppcoin.conf’, it’s worth giving that a try, first.

Once you’ve tried that, if you still aren’t connecting to any of the Peercoin network nodes, I would strip everything out of the ppcoin.conf file with the exception of four of the nodes. The RPC settings have to do with the Peercoin daemon, so (theoretically) they aren’t needed for what you are trying to do.

Hopefully one of those will fix the issue, but if not, let us know and we’ll keep trying to eliminate potential issues, one by one.

Also delete peer.dat