Making a QT Wallet Work in Ubuntu 12.04

[size=16pt]The current version of this guide is now available on DevToMe.
Go here to find this article specifically.
Go here to see a list of articles I’ve written for DevToMe.
This tutorial, as presented below, may not be current, the DevToMe link is.
[/size]

This works on my system, and I run 12.04

This should work on newer versions as well, but I haven’t personally seen it through. If you have any problems, let me know and maybe we can try to sort it out.

There are two ways to make it work on Ubuntu, the easier way is to use precompiled binaries for peercoin. Luckily, those exist. They don’t for every alt-coin.

Once you get this process down, you can install an alt-coin wallet for any alt-coin that offers precompiled binaries.

The other way is to compile from source. After some effort trying to find all the right dependencies and stuff, I got to the point where I got this down pretty easy. But if you just want a peercoin client, let’s go the first route for now.

Step 1) Download the binaries:

The current on is here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ppcoin/files/0.3.0/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux.tar.gz/download

Step 2) Unzip the file. It’s basically like a zip file in windows. You can open it with archive manager, which comes with ubuntu, and firefox should know about it automatically. there should be a folder “ppcoin-0.3.0-linux.” extract it to your home directory.

you end up creating this:

/home/yourname/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux/[/code]

Step 3) What kind of system architecture do you have? If you don't already know, google for it to figure out which one you are. I think most modern computers are 64 bit, but 32 bit should work for general purpose use if you don't know.

figure out where you will be running the client from. it will be either:

[code]
/home/yourUbuntuUserName/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux/bin/32
[/code]
or
[code]
/home/yourUbuntuUserName/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux/bin/64
[/code]

whether you go into 32 or 64 depend on the answer to the question above.

I'm going to use 32 as the example from now on.

At this point, you can test to make sure the client works, if you want by copying this into the terminal and hitting enter.

[code]
/home/yourUbuntuUserName/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux/bin/32/ppcoin-qt
[/code]

All that's left is to create a launcher in unity.

[code]sudo gedit /usr/share/applications/ppcoin.desktop[/code]

this makes a notepad like window that you can copy text into. copy this:

[code][Desktop Entry]
Name=Peercoin
Comment=
Exec=/home/yourUbuntuUsername/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux/bin/32/ppcoin-qt
Icon=/home/yourUbuntuUsername/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux/ppcoin.png
Terminal=false
Type=Application
StartupNotify=true

hit save.

go find a pretty looking icon to use for launcher.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=ppcoin+logo

save it or move into /home/yourUbuntuUsername/ppcoin-0.3.0-linux/ as ppcoin.png

Last step.

Click on “Home Folder” in launcher. On the left, click on file system. Then navigate to usr/share/applications

scroll down to the Ps, and you’ll find the file you just created in gedit. All you have to do is drag it to your launcher.

I hope this helps.

great guide i’ll add a link to my guide to building from source code here as well when i complete it
Keep up the great work :slight_smile:
Fuzzybear

Great guide, but does anyone know if there is a way to run a peercoin wallet on Linux via command line without a GUI?

I’m currently running Ubuntu server and I don’t want to install X server purely for Peercoin if I can possibly avoid it?

[quote=“Gringo.Frenzy, post:3, topic:1346”]Great guide, but does anyone know if there is a way to run a peercoin wallet on Linux via command line without a GUI?

I’m currently running Ubuntu server and I don’t want to install X server purely for Peercoin if I can possibly avoid it?[/quote]
yes you run the daemon called ppcoind… cd into the src directory and run make -f makefile.unix let it build and then run ppcoind… i will complain about u needing a ppcoin.conf file so make that and then you start the ppcoind again and your away… type ppcoind help to see list of commands u can run against the daemon

Fuzzybear

I am going crazy I cant figure out how to do this. Where is the makefile.unix? I used the primecoin tutorial step by step… argghh

I saw nothing when I typed dir and make gives me many errors makefile not found etc… Really why doesnt the community create ubuntu packages? This drives me crazy!

Community is in hibernation mode at the moment :slight_smile:

[quote=“FuzzyBear, post:4, topic:1346”][quote=“Gringo.Frenzy, post:3, topic:1346”]Great guide, but does anyone know if there is a way to run a peercoin wallet on Linux via command line without a GUI?

I’m currently running Ubuntu server and I don’t want to install X server purely for Peercoin if I can possibly avoid it?[/quote]
yes you run the daemon called ppcoind… cd into the src directory and run make -f makefile.unix let it build and then run ppcoind… i will complain about u needing a ppcoin.conf file so make that and then you start the ppcoind again and your away… type ppcoind help to see list of commands u can run against the daemon

Fuzzybear[/quote]

nice work

I did just that. But I couldn’t get make to use the makefile.unix :frowning:

This is super old and I haven’t kept it updated. I guess people have switched to peerunity now.

I’ve been keeping my peercoin in cold storage so I haven’t been keeping up with how to make the client’s work for the past year.

Sorry about that man