Charity Campaign | Getting things started

Dear Activist-Community,
What is this all about?
MeBeingAwesome had the idea to start a 12-Day Twitter campaign, starting on Dec 13. To read more about the Twitter campaign
just follow this link. This thread though is about a specific idea, pushed by me and accepted by the peercointalk-community. The first public statement can be seen here. The basic idea is to organize a charity campaign which runs alongside with the daily giveaways/promos of the 12 Days of PPChristmas. In these 12 days someone trusworthy (more about this later in the thread) collects Peercoins (although it’s a charity action this doesn’t mean we aren’t allowed to promote PPC, right?), later the gathered peercoins could be exchanged into Dollar/Pounds/whatever and will be donated to a specific organization.
This would be a great finish of PPchristmas and a gesture in the spirit of christmas.

To-do list
This is my first time leading/organizing a charity campaign, so there might be some points in this threads which will probably not satisfy a professional but with the help of you, the peercointalk-community, we should get these things done nice and peaceful.

Things to discuss:

[ul][li]Who will collect the peercoins and later donate the money? [/li]
[li]Which organisations come into question? [/li]
[li]How should we promote the charity?[/li]
[li]Did I forget something? Please comment![/li][/ul]

Please comment on this thread, I definitely need your help to get this thing started.

Update #1

• I’m currently selling my Diablo III account, 30% of the PPCs I’ll get for the game are going straight into our Charity-box. Take a look here.

Greetings
Okerlo

[size=8pt]
[ul][li][i]Font used in the picture is called “Kingthings Christmas”[/li]
[li][i]Peercoin-logo taken from here[/ul]

This is great! With our superior energy-efficiency Peercoin is the responsible crypto, and I think as part of having the “moral backbone” that Sunny has referenced it is important to consider those less fortunate. Will do everything I can to support this.

Ok great, thanks MeBeingAwesome.
More comments please, I can’t get this started without your help.
This weekend I’ll look for some Charitys we could choose.

Greetings

Throwing something out there to join up the discussion happening in this thread - http://www.peercointalk.org/index.php?topic=924.msg8203#msg8203

We could choose to support a charity like http://www.breastcancercampaign.org/ ?
It’s something that could raise the profile of the coin outside the regular crypto crowd.

Also as Fuzzy offers an escrow service anyway I suggest he acts as the intermediary.

I think McGin’s on the right track. Connecting with a couple of growing charities, with good green/community/gender credentials that would potentially give us exposure on their end would be ideal.

Charity Engine is not exactly someone we can donate to, but has parallels with Peercoin:
http://www.charityengine.com

We could try sparking the Lifeboat Foundation interest in Peercoin. I am actually a member on their bitcoin board so would be able to put proposal to them about peercoins and hand over coins. They are running a BTC donation address to se if they can raise $1million in btc for various scientific projects etc and other interesting things. Some elements of Peercoin would fit right in with them I would think and this would be sizeable exposure for such a donation.

Let me know what you think

http://lifeboat.com/ex/main

Fuzzybear

Some involvement with Lifeboat would be great, but I’d think it seems too much of a futurist clique to be an appealing charity for the broader community.

And their numbers aren’t amazing: they have more people on their advisory boards than receive their mailing list according to their front page!

Here is a few more options

1. Child’s Play- Child’s Play works in two ways. With the help of hospital staff, we set up gift wish lists full of video games, toys, books, and other fun stuff for kids. By clicking on a hospital location on our map, you can view that hospital’s wish list and send a gift.

Child’s Play also receives cash donations throughout the year. With those cash donations, we purchase new consoles, peripherals, games, and more for hospitals and therapy facilities. These donations allow for children to enjoy age-appropriate entertainment, interact with their peers, friends, and family, and can provide vital distraction from an otherwise generally unpleasant experience.

http://www.childsplaycharity.org/

1. Barefoot College- Barefoot College is a non-governmental organization that has been providing basic services and solutions to problems in rural communities for more than 40 years, with the objective of making them self-sufficient and sustainable. These ‘Barefoot solutions’ can be broadly categorized into the delivery of Solar Electrification, Clean Water, Education, Livelihood Development, and Activism. With a geographic focus on the Least Developed Countries (LDCs), we believe strongly in Empowering Women as agents of sustainable change.
  1. Architechture for Humanity- Architecture for Humanity is a nonprofit design services firm founded in 1999. We are building a more sustainable future through the power of professional design.

By tapping a network of more than 50,000 professionals willing to lend time and expertise to help those who would not otherwise be able to afford their services, we bring design, construction and development services where they are most critically needed.

Each year 100,000 people directly benefit from structures designed by Architecture for Humanity. Our advocacy, training and outreach programs impact an additional 50,000 people annually. We channel the resources of the global funding community to meaningful projects that make a difference locally. From conception to completion, we manage all aspects of the design and construction process. Our clients include community groups, aid organizations, housing developers, government agencies, corporate divisions, and foundations.

Design is important to every aspect of our lives. It informs the places in which we live, work, learn, heal and gather. We engage all stakeholders in the design process. We believe our clients are designers in their own right.

Thoughtful, inclusive design creates lasting change in communities by:

• Alleviating poverty and providing access to water, sanitation, power and essential services
• Bringing safe shelter to communities prone to disaster and displaced populations
• Rebuilding community and creating neutral spaces for dialogue in post-conflict areas
• Mitigating the effects of rapid urbanization in unplanned settlements
• Creating spaces to meet the needs of those with disabilities and other at-risk populations
• Reducing the footprint of the built environment and addressing climate change

https://architectureforhumanity.org/

Dear Community,
It’s unfortunate how the campaign currently isn’t really there where it should be. Fortuna herself got in my way. The last few days I had to spend my time in a hospital and even now although I’m at home again I’m not in the mood and the condition to host such a project. I already saw your contribution to the project and I’m sure that you’ll establish a great charity campaign.

I’m very sorry that I have to, though only temporary, “resign” my work as a volunteer. I hope that you’ll keep this campaign running, for the commnuity, for peercoin but especially because of the people you’re going to help with this campaign.

Greetings,
okerlo